One book leads to another...

Saturday, April 3, 2021

Communal Places - C

 


Communal Places for Literary Enthusiasts


C  What began as wishful thinking aloud between like-minded friends became a reality in the form of Changing Hands Bookstore on April 1st, 1974. With an interest in community service and keen eyes for titles not readily found in chain bookstores, Changing Hands outgrew their 500 square foot space in four short years.  A veritable book-brigade of friends and customers helped them move to a larger facility. Their current location maintains much of the mid-century architecture – the former site of the historic Beefeaters Restaurant – in the heart of Phoenix, offers new and used books, unique gifts, over 300 author events, as well as Craft Fairs, Artisan Markets in their event space known as The Commons. In addition, the Phoenix location is the home of Changing Hands’ own First Draft Book Bar, featuring coffee, wine, beer, and snacks where even young Harry Potter fans can wet their whistle with a (non-alcoholic) beverage during the annual birthday party.

 

Iconic before


Fabulous after 


I'd book an event here, wouldn't you?


“There is a crack in everything. That’s how light gets in” ~ Leonard Cohen


6 comments:

  1. Hi Diedre - what could be better a browsing book store and a coffee, beer, wine and snacks ... what's not to like. An yes - let the light in and who knows what will come alive ... Leonard Cohen - extra special poet and artist ... all the best over Easter - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This place does seem to cover all the bases, doesn't it? Something for everybody ;-)

      Delete
  2. I would, although some of my family would think it wasn't quite upscale enough for an "event." I love books, so what could be better? I'd rather just go book browse than have an event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And indeed, browsing is my theme this year ;-) This bookstore just happens to offer numerous other services I thought were worth mentioning - I understand you can even book a wedding!
      As for me, I consider reading my books to children at the library an event.
      Happy A to Z!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful store for booklovers. I have a few out of print books which I made sure a cousin of mine knows about. They aren't just old books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How intriguing! Are these books heirlooms?
      I hope you're enjoying springtime where you are. I'm afraid we've gone and skipped it here, this year ;-)

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!