One book leads to another...

Thursday, April 19, 2018

2018 A - Z Challenge - Q


Q     Things We Appreciate

Within Arizona, I-10 from either direction will lead you through the intersection US 95 and State Route 95, which is the heart of a quirky Rock and RV mecca called Quartzsite, Arizona.  Situated 18 miles from the Colorado River and about two hours east of Phoenix (or any other place), tourism is the main economic contributor to this small desert town.  In fact, over a million visitors and vendors flock to Quartzsite each year for the annual Rock, Gem and Mineral Shows, generally held during January and February. 

Because over half of the visitors and vendors arrive in motorhomes and other recreational vehicles and often stay long after the festivities have ended, Quartzsite is generally known as the “Boondocking Capital of the World” and while there are a handful of full-hookup camps available, many prefer the wide-open scrub brush plains where dry-camping is free, and Coyotes are occasionally seen meandering through campsites in broad daylight.
Perhaps as a favorable nod to the abandoned US Camel Corps experiment, Quartzsite runs an on-demand bus system called the Camel Express. Additionally, the town boasts two extremely well-stocked stores and a dozen or more restaurants with prices to suit even the most stringent senior budget.


Quarter Horses:
The southwestern Quarter horse is a cross between the ‘Colonial’ breed (brought west) and the indigenous wild Mustangs, including Native American horses from tribes such as Shoshoni, Comanche, and Nez Perce. This ‘cross’ produced horses that were not only lightning quick but quite comfortable around cattle; drawing the interest of ranchers and cattlemen alike. However, another man,
Rukin Jelks had a different idea of how to use these magnificent creatures, and played a significant role in Quarter Horse Racing history when he built a burnt adobe home (in the 40s) with an onsite stud-farm that would later become the very first Quarter Horse Track in the United States (Ruidoso, NM was the second). 

As a kid, I thought there was nothing better than a Peanut butter & Jelly sandwich to quiet a rumbling stomach. Then, I had a Quesadilla. ;-)

Happy Blogging!

Any thoughts? Can you add to the list of things we appreciate that begin with the letter Q?


8 comments:

  1. Hi, diedre!

    Mrs. Shady and I crisscrossed Arizona in 2014. I just looked at a map and I believe we actually went past Quartzsite on our way down from the Grand Canyon, past Phoenix to route 8, and on by Yuma to our destination San Diego. However, on the map, Quartzsite appears to be west of Phoenix, not east of it. I wish we would have stopped there because I love to look at minerals. As a cub scout I had quite a collection of rocks and minerals, my interested in them ignited by visits to museums.

    I enjoyed reading more about the United States Army Camel Corps. I'd hate to travel the desert with a dromedary stricken with "the itch" (mange) as some were. I'd much rather be accompanied by a beautiful Quarter Horse.

    Mrs. Shady occasionally makes quesadillas from scratch. They're delicious!

    Thank you very much for minding your Ps and Qs these last couple of days, dear friend diedre! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady!

      Ha! Funny thing about I-10 out here is that though it appears to head to Mexico, you're actually heading east. As one who requires landmarks for direction, I concede, I goofed ;-)

      There were a number of things I wish hadn't happened with the Camel Corps experiment. Poor docile animals. They are as deserving of a place in history as the Quarter horses, I think.

      An appreciative nod to Mrs. Shady -Homemade Quesadillas are the best! And so are you, my friend. I look forward to your visits ;-)

      Happy Q Day!



      Delete
  2. No hook-ups means it gets rather warm in those campers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex!

      You're exactly right about that. I'm amazed by all the hardy folks who do it in that climate, some without generators - eesh!
      I appreciate your coming by, Alex. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Howdy, dIEDRE ~
    Countless times I stopped in Quartzsite on my drives to and from Phoenix and L.A. It was perfectly situated for a gas stop and stretch-of-the-legs.

    One of my old books on the American West even contains an extremely old, slightly out-of-focus black & white photograph of a Western gunfight in progress in or near Quartzsite! What were the odds of a photographer happening to catch that at a time when photography was a whole lot more complicated than just clicking a button on a cell phone?

    ~ D-FensDogG
    Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Reno!

      Yes, and over the years Quartzsite has expanded RV and camping supplies for those who want to keep moving ;-)

      Wow, that picture sounds intriguing! Must have been the rowdy travelers - perhaps near the old Stage.

      Delete
  4. I've been through Quartzite more times than I can remember. I've stopped for gas, but not too many times. I've never explored any more than the gas stop.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diedre - the Quartzite site sounds like it should charge to be shown round!! I don't think I'd like that ... I'm a Quintessential English 'lady'! so need some cool ...

    Qwerty - where would we all be without it ... and Quiet ... that I enjoy ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!