One book leads to another...

Wednesday, October 2, 2024

IWSG October 2024

 


Welcome readers, writers, authors, and bloggers!

We're glad you're here! It's the First Wednesday of the month; when we celebrate IWSG Day in the form of a blog hop featuring members and guests of the Insecure Writer's Support GroupFounded by author Alex Cavanaugh (Thank you, Captain!) and fostered by like-minded associates, IWSG is a comfortable place to share views and literary news as we record our journeys. Check out the October newsletter here.

The awesome co-hosts for this month’s posting of the IWSG are: Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jacqui Murray, and Natalie Aguirre!

 Today’s entirely optional question: Ghost stories fit right in for this month. Tell us your favorite ghostly story and why it sends a chill up your spine.

 

If my sister hadn’t reminded me of the first movie that scared our lights back on (The Birds) as we watched in the dark, I might have and probably should have forgotten all about the movie that still gives me the creeps to this very day. But I’ll save that one for last.

I enjoy a good nail-biter. Misery was good, as was Christine, Cape Fear, and The Shining. I honestly thought The Fly was hilarious until it was left inside the machine. I reserve judgment on films like King Kong and Godzilla and that poor monster in Creature from the Black Lagoon. I feel so sad for their plights. It's not unlike how I feel about all the unwitting participants of a Jurassic experiment gone wrong. All good shows, though. Went through a lot of popcorn J

It took a while for me to walk the woods alone again once they buried the cat – and then the toddler! – in the movie Pet Sematary. I just knew I’d run across a deadfall.

I don’t care for blood and guts; which, ironically, brings me to one of my favorite scary shows; Carrie. The creeps that totally ruined her special day sure met their match ;-)

Personally, I think it’s the supernatural side of things that I usually choose to write about or at least bestow on a character or two. I guess that’s why I favor those kind of films.

Are there any films or shows you’ve ever wished you hadn’t watched? I can’t say they didn’t scare me, but there are a few I wouldn’t watch again. For instance, The Omen, The Exorcist, and last but certainly not least – or best - Rosemary’s Baby.

I think I’ll dig around for a happy ghost story.

Have a perfectly boo-tiful October, everyone!

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Someone else who picked The Exorcist! Good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, at one point I was actually outside the living room, peeking at the TV from around the corner ;-)

      Delete
  2. Although not a fan of horror movies in general, I did like Carrie, The Shining, and Rosemary's Baby. A "happy" ghost story? How about "Ghost", starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore? 🙂 Happy October, diedre! 🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Ghost is a fabulous choice! Thanks for reminding me, Debbie. Enjoy the colors of the season.

      Delete
  3. Hi Diedre - The Birds - I was horrified with that one! Well remembered - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!
      Not this year, while we're setting records for heat, but normally this time of year birds get to huddling on the wires and I have to keep an eye on them. I can't help it ;-)

      Delete
  4. You've named some excellent scary movies, Diedre! The Birds was so freaky. Have you read Stephen King's On Writing? I was interested by his strategy of combining two ideas for a novel. He reported that Carrie came from combining his strange, shy, poor high-school classmate and his fascination with horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jennifer!
      Oh yes, I have just about everything King ever wrote, including On Writing. I was delighted to realize that a lot of writers use that same strategy; two - or more ideas about ordinary people coming together in extraordinary circumstances. Hard to top King's imagination, though ;-)

      Delete
  5. The Shining is a favorite of mine but the Exorcist was weird. As for other scary stories: My fav spooky tales are chicken-skin tales about urban stories of night marchers, and of Madame Pele, the volcano goddess, who appeared along the roadside when people were in need.
    https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gail!
      Ha! Out here, we have La Llorona leyenda; a vengeful woman who roams the rivers looking for the children she'd drowned in a fit of anger. I always thought the story was off since our river hardly ever runs ;-)

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!