One book leads to another...

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

IWSG September 2024

 


Welcome readers, writers, authors, and bloggers!

We're glad you're here! It's the First Wednesday of the month; when we celebrate IWSG Day in the form of a blog hop featuring members and guests of the Insecure Writer's Support GroupFounded by author Alex Cavanaugh (Thank you, Captain!) and fostered by like-minded associates, IWSG is a comfortable place to share views and literary news as we record our journeys. Check out the September newsletter here.

The awesome co-hosts for this month’s posting of the IWSG are:   Beth Camp, Jean Davis, Yvonne Ventresca, and PJ Colando!

 Today’s entirely optional question: Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?

Happy September everyone! May we all keep in mind, it’s be kind to Writers and Editors month, and please, please accept my humble apologies for bombing my hosting duties last month while I had my very first (and hopefully last) go-around with Covid. It was just as dreadful as I expected, but I’ve lived to tell about it!

However, I’d rather just talk about how my name has caused some confusion in my Rules of English universe (getting back to the question).

Honestly, most of my teachers mispronounced my name. Some couldn’t even spell it correctly. I get it, there is more than one way to spell it. But, here in America anyway, the delightfully inconsistent rule: I Before E except after C (which was created after the exceptions) or, as I discovered along the way, except after B,E, F, K, N, R, S, and W is still happily taught across America. Oh, it’s not so bad. My husband understands how I feel. His name is Reid.

Can’t wait to come around and see what you all have to say on the subject!

Happy writing ;-)

 

 


14 comments:

  1. They struggled with my last name, so I get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that silent G still gives me pause ;-) More so in Spanish - ha!

      Delete
    2. P.S. I like how you say "they" struggled ;-)

      Delete
  2. So sorry that you got COVID. Everyone struggles with my daughter's first name because it's too words and our last name that can pronounced more than one way. So I get what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie!
      I guess it had to happen sometime. I'd been really lucky till then ;-)
      I can imagine the challenges. Intriguing as the language is, it can tie the average person's lips up in Christmas tinsel ;-)
      Happy September!

      Delete
  3. Totally agree that the last mistake is the best teacher. As for my last name, it is always fun to hear people pronounce it; and a pleasant surprise when a medical professional pronounces it correctly.
    https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the occasions when someone gets it right ;-)

      Delete
  4. Sorry you had to deal with COVID, diedre, but I'm glad you're over it now. My maiden name was unusual and people always got it wrong. I decided to take hubby's last name, thinking it was easier and also sounded better, but people still get it wrong. Can't win! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!
      Although I'd heard it could be a rough time, I was not expecting just how awful the dreaded virus could actually be. I too, am glad to be past it ;-)
      Now, I am sooo curious about all your names! Even better than learning a new word, was hearing one I couldn't figure out how to pronounce ;-)

      Delete
  5. Here in Mexico, only 45% finish secondary school.. However, when asked, they can spell!
    So glad you have recovered from Covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! Me too. That was no fun.
      I realized the same thing about Spanish students. I was impressed how they take the very basics of education and run with it. It's unfortunate that they or anyone who speaks multiple languages is so often underestimated.
      Happy September!

      Delete
  6. Hi Diedre - apostrophe's ... especially in this day and age. Then of course as far as I'm concerned American spelling v English spelling ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you, Hilary!
      Excellent point! Even if I come up with the proper English word, spelling it correctly is always challenge ;-)

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!