One book leads to another...

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

IWSG July 2024

 


Welcome readers, writers, authors, and bloggers!

We're glad you're here! It's the First Wednesday of the month; when we celebrate IWSG Day in the form of a blog hop featuring members and guests of the Insecure Writer's Support GroupFounded by author Alex Cavanaugh (Thank you, Captain!) and fostered by like-minded associates, IWSG is a comfortable place to share views and literary news as we record our journeys. Check out our latest newsletter here.

Our awesome co-hosts this month are:  JS Pailly, Rebecca Douglass, Pat Garcia, Louise-Fundy Blue, and Natalie Aguirre!

The optional question(s) for this month is: What are your favorite writing processing (e.g. Word, Scrivener, yWriter, Dabble), writing apps, software, and tools? Why do you recommend them? And which one is your all-time favorite that you cannot live without and use daily or at least whenever you write?

I use Word for everything, but there are a few exceptions. For instance, the manuscript I’ve been working on for longer than I care to admit. For this, I rely on “specialty” tools and apps “guaranteed” to wrest my buried best from the depths of obstinate procrastination.

I’ve been impressed and grown quite fond of Reedsy Studio (recommended by IWSG), I’ve tried Scrivener (liked it!) but hadn’t quite decided if I liked the yearly fee compared to Reedsy, which is mostly free, when I signed up with Reedsy.  I understand Natural Reader is popular, also free, as is Apple Pages.

All that aside, nothing beats good old-fashioned conversation with someone you can trust for honest advice, and unwavering support. Someone to kick around ideas with. If you are looking for something like this, look no further. You’ll find all this and more, right here at Insecure Writer’s Support Group!

Wishing everyone the kind of 4th of July you can’t wait to write about!

 


16 comments:

  1. I like free anything! By the time I purchase a computer, the software, a suitable chair...whatever...my credit card needs a break.
    https://cleemckenziebooks.substack.com/p/something-new-this-way-comes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm just a creature of habit ;-) But when something works...

      Delete
    2. Thanks for co-hosting, Natalie ;-)

      Delete
  3. Free is good! I have so many subscriptions to things that start to really add up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A favorite of mine are informative, always inspiring, and usually free webinars. Lately, I set aside time after a webinar because I know I'm going to want to write ;-)
      Thanks for co-hosting, Rebecca!

      Delete
  4. Free and from a real person - that's always the best. Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I've been thinking about Scrivener, but didn't know about the fee. And really didn't even know about Reedsy, but will have to take a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, no one I know who uses Scrivener ever complains, and they usually put out some pretty impressive work ;-)
      Happy summer, Miffie!

      Delete
  7. Hi Birgit - Happy Fourth to you too. I'm enjoying reading the tools that everyone uses ... always good to learn ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!
      I enjoy reading what others are using and doing, as well. Just another bonus of this writing group ;-) Happy summer!

      Delete
  8. Its good to try new things. Ya never know if something might be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dolorah!
      And you never know when that one new thing you find will be the very best ever!
      Happy, productive summer!

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!