One book leads to another...

Thursday, April 21, 2022

A to Z Blogging Challenge - R

 


A to Z April (2022) Blogging Challenge

 

Hello, dear readers!

I’d like to thank you all in advance for stopping by, and I hope that at least a few on my list of remarkable buildings pique your interest as they did mine.

“Design is not a coincidence or a formula, it is a result of human reflection and vision in response to a specific challenge.” ~ Unknown

 

R

Rosenbaum House

 


The first of dozens of Usonian homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, the Rosenbaum house is the only one located in Alabama and employs many of Wright’s signature features such as the L-shape, steel cantilevered roof, and mainly natural building materials. One of the more distinctive elements is the characteristic use of floor-to-ceiling glass – whenever and wherever possible or practical - to “blur the line between indoors and outdoors,” as one periodical describes it, and as evidenced by exit doors in every room. The Rosenbaum House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 and is the only Usonian home (to date) open to the public.

I find the similarities of this house to the one the Byrds of “Ozark” live in fascinating. So much so that I actually checked to be sure, and while they’re both genuine and cool as rain, they are two different houses. It matters not to me; I just love windows!

Nice place for a house with glass walls, don’t you think? Would you visit? Have you watched the “Ozark” drugs-and-crime drama series?

 


6 comments:

  1. Floor to ceiling windows would be great. As long as there are blinds for nighttime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know what you mean. The fishbowl feeling is uncomfortable.

      Delete
  2. Yes, we have watched and enjoyed all seasons of Ozark! Floor to ceiling glass must give an impression of great space but I am not sure of the safety aspects. And privacy ofcourse. Good going on the AtoZ! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A floorplan like this works well in wide-open spaces. Probably not so much in a city setting ;-)
      The last season of Ozark was certainly a shocker, wasn't it?

      Delete
  3. I've been to town where this is located and if I'd known this house was there I would have tried to see it. I didn't even know there was a Wright house in Alabama. Never heard of that Ozark show either.
    But there are so many things I've never heard of. A lot of them have been revealed to me in various A to Z blog posts.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its worth a look ;-) And the Ozark show is/was highly compelling. You just have to know what happens next.
      There are some truly interesting blogs for this year's challenge.

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!