One book leads to another...

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

A to Z Blogging Challenge - Q

 


A to Z April (2022) Blogging Challenge

 

Hello, dear readers!

I’d like to thank you all in advance for stopping by, and I hope that at least a few on my list of remarkable buildings pique your interest as they did mine.

“Design is not a coincidence or a formula, it is a result of human reflection and vision in response to a specific challenge.” ~ Unknown

 

Q

Queen Sofia Palace of the Arts

 


Widely considered one of the most beautiful opera houses in the world, at 17 stories high Queen Sofia is also the tallest opera house and cultural center in the world. Designed by internationally known Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava, the sweeping mosaic roof is undeniably the most impressive part of this landmark located in Valencia City, Spain (birthplace of the architect.) In keeping with a nautical theme, the innovative upswept wing-like design allows spectators to watch rehearsals through glass panels from boat-like opera house “decks”.

Well, I am impressed! How about you? Have you been? Would you visit?

 

 


10 comments:

  1. The nautical design is really unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being the hometown of a famous architect would already be a source of pride, a building like this probably sent the city over the moon ;-)

      Delete
  2. dIEDRE ~

    I'm not an opera fan, but that's definitely a cool building!

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine what the building might be used for at first. I'm not a fan of opera either ;-) But, since it does provide a venue for performing arts in general, I think it's pretty cool.

      Delete
  3. Well I do enjoy opera so I would love to see it. Also the building is just so unique looking!


    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | The A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone in musical preferences, Timothy. I once worked for a jeweler who insisted on Opera music, played loudly, six days a week. All day long. He too, would love this place.

      Delete
  4. Reminds me of some of the Frank Gehry designs like the Walt Disney Concert Hall here in L.A. It is pretty cool looking. I wonder if these types of structures will have the same lasting power as the amazing structures from the 13th to 17th centuries found in Europe and elsewhere?

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concert hall you mention is really cool. And you raise a great point about 'lasting power'. The Queen Sofia has already required substantial restorations and its not that old.

      Delete
  5. Hi Diedre - gosh I'd love to see this ... perhaps if ever get to Spain I can include it in my 'tour' ... it looks stunning - thanks for including it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!