One book leads to another...

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

A to Z Blogging Challenge - K

 


A to Z April (2022) Blogging Challenge

 

Hello, dear readers!

I’d like to thank you all in advance for stopping by, and I hope that at least a few on my list of remarkable buildings pique your interest as they did mine.

“Design is not a coincidence or a formula, it is a result of human reflection and vision in response to a specific challenge.” ~ Unknown

 

K

Kansas City Library Bookshelf

…and parking garage

 

Isn’t it amazing how creativity in design can transform an unremarkable building into a literary treasure and visual work of art?


 

When, in 2006, it became necessary to build a parking structure for the ever-expanding number of library patrons, the Kansas City community members as well as patrons, were asked for input on façade designs. Once was “Books” was chosen as a design, they all voted on what titles to use on each 25’X9’ book. It is now considered one of the “Most striking features” of downtown Kansas City, MO.

 


I have to admit, I was disappointed to find this was only a parking garage! No matter, I’m still impressed. How about you?

12 comments:

  1. I totally love the design. Though it'd be even more awesome if it let to the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie!

      True. But at least there's a feeling that a library must be nearby ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hokey-Smoke & Hoo-Wee!
    That's fabulous.

    I'd never even heard about this before.

    I hope there's a Mark Twain book in there somewhere. I enlarged the photo but didn't see one. 'Tom Sawyer' or 'Huckleberry Finn'?

    If not, then at least give us 'The Wind In The Willows' with Mr. Toad, eh? [;-)}

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the 22 titles, there is indeed one by Mark Twain - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn! The full list of titles is at
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Public_Library
      I wouldn't mind something like this in my town ;-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, dIEDRE!

      That Twain's 'HUCKLEBERRY FINN' was included is excellent and right!

      Although my favorite Twain book is 'Roughing It', the one that should have been included is 'Huck Finn' - they got it right.

      This is just my opinion, but the greatest writing in any novel I ever read was in Chapters 16 & 31 of 'Huck Finn'. When Huck is on the raft with the slave, Jim, and Huck's God-given conscience is wrestling with the artificial conscience that was instilled in him by the society in which he was raised.

      The writing is fabulous - with Twain's use of 1800s Southern vernacular - and the back and forth reasoning in Huck's mind about which is the right thing to do: continue to help Jim escape, or put the authorities on him, so Jim can be returned to his 'rightful owner'.

      To me, that moment in Chapter 31 when Huck finally says, "All right, then, I'll go hell", and he tears up the note, that is a true triumph for humanity and the greatest conclusion to the greatest bit of writing I've ever read.

      Mark Twain - dang, HE was a true literary genius; #1 on my list!!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Compelling, for sure ;-) I know I'd have to pull over and check it out.

      Delete
  4. Tahts very clever and captivating design.would love to sit there and feel the place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it increased the number of visitors to the library and city as well ;-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Diedre - that is so much fun ... I think I'll write a post about it - (referencing the clever you!!) ... such fun to see ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary! I'm glad you've enjoyed. I'd hoped the theme would have a little something for everyone ;-)

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!