One book leads to another...

Saturday, April 9, 2022

A to Z Blogging Challenge - H

 


A to Z April (2022) Blogging Challenge

 

Hello, dear readers!

I’d like to thank you all in advance for stopping by, and I hope that at least a few on my list of remarkable buildings pique your interest as they did mine.

“Design is not a coincidence or a formula, it is a result of human reflection and vision in response to a specific challenge.” ~ Unknown

 

H

Holy Family Shrine

BCDM Architects

 


This one-of-a-kind sanctuary, its unique beauty, and the peaceful and spiritual setting is a divine magnet for folks from near and far of every denomination, though with an emphasis on Catholicism. Located on a secluded natural prairie hilltop in NE Nebraska, the shrine encourages discovery by day, serves as a beacon for travelers at night, and welcomes world-weary followers a safe refuge for spiritual renewal.


Other distinctive features include an intricately etched image of the Holy Family in one glass-paned wall of the chapel and a sculptural element inside the adjacent underground visitor center that produces the flowing stream down the middle of the path to the entrance of the shrine.

 


At first glance, I thought the project was unfinished. I didn’t even realize it had glass walls.  But, if I saw this building on a hillside, I’d definitely want to check it out. How about you?

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I've driven very close past this on some of my cross country excursions. If I had only known what was there. I'm sure there was a sign for it on the highway.

    I was looking at more pictures of this and it really does look like just the framework for an unfinished building.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if there were road signs...Of course, with the lights on a night you wouldn't need a sign ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Diedre - clever ... but can't say I like it - still ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary - Perhaps a few trees around it would lesson the feel of isolation. Interesting find, though. I wonder how many passers-by actually stop in.

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!