One book leads to another...

Friday, April 8, 2022

A to Z Blogging Challenge - G

 


A to Z April (2022) Blogging Challenge

 

Hello, dear readers!

I’d like to thank you all in advance for stopping by, and I hope that at least a few on my list of remarkable buildings pique your interest as they did mine.

“Design is not a coincidence or a formula, it is a result of human reflection and vision in response to a specific challenge.” ~ Unknown

G

Gillette Castle (and State Park)


Fans of the fictional detective knew Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr. Watson shared rooms at 221B Baker Street, London. But, have you ever wondered where Sherlock Homes, the actor lived? I have. And, wouldn’t you assume the residence would be in the vicinity of the setting? I did. I was only off by an ocean of water and a few hundred miles.

Of the more than 75 actors who played Mr. Holmes, William Gillette was the first actor in 1899 to put a living face to the exceedingly popular, fictional character. Although he happened to audition for the legendary role in London, William Gillette’s childhood home was in Connecticut, USA. It was there that he would build yet one more legacy.


Between 1914 and 1919, Gillette designed and supervised the construction (start to finish) of the three-story, 24-bedroom medieval-style castle he called his bungalow, complete with a narrow-gauge railway on which guests could ride around his estate. In addition to secret passageways, Gillette created many interior adornments, such as wooden light switches, roll-away tables, and built-in couches. Shorter upper-floor balcony walls made him look taller as he gazed at his guests in the parlor below, and two-way mirrors allowed him to observe the “mood” of the rooms before making an appearance.


The fieldstone castle was purchased by the State of Connecticut in 1943 (for $5000) and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.

I think I’d take a tour. Would you?

6 comments:

  1. Hi diedre, I'd love to explore this place! It reminds me of Boldt Castle, in the 1000 Islands. This is a fascinating theme you chose and I'm going to peruse your previous entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!

      So would I! I love secret passageways and hand-crafted trimmings. Gillette even designed every doorknob with its own unique locking mechanism.

      Delete
  2. Yes you should visit Gilettes Castle... as I live in Ct., we have visited it several times and each time I discover something new I missed. Def worth visiting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne!

      How cool! I love it when someone's actually been to places I only experience vicariously ;-)

      Delete
  3. I saw a television story the other day that referenced this. I've always dreamed of having an estate with a miniature train running around it.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it cool? There's even a station where he served his guests beverages.

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!