One book leads to another...

Saturday, April 2, 2022

A to Z Blogging Challenge - B

 

A to Z April (2022) Blogging Challenge

 

Hello, dear readers!

I’d like to thank you all in advance for stopping by, and I hope that at least a few on my list of remarkable buildings pique your interest as they did mine.

 “Design is not a coincidence or a formula; it is a result of human reflection and vision in response to a specific challenge.” — Unknown

B

Burj Khalifa Tower

Designed by Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill (architects of the Sears Tower in Chicago and One World Trade Center in New York), the Burj Khalifa project was conceived by architect Adrian Smith, who was at least somewhat influenced by a skyscraper designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Currently the tallest existing structure in the world, the Burj Khalifa Tower was initially intended to be entirely residential. In response to a government decision to expand an oil-based economy into that of service and tourism, it is now the centerpiece of a large-scale mixed-use development including 30 thousand homes, nine hotels, corporate offices, museums, shops, and restaurants contained on 163 floors with 57 elevators, eight escalators, and 2909 stairs (ground level to 160th floor)

From start to finish, the entire project took approximately six years and 22 million man-hours to complete.


Because the sun can still be seen from the higher floors for a time after it has set, clerics have decided that residents or occupants above the 80th floor must wait an additional two minutes before ending the observance of Ramadan. Those living above the 150th floor must wait an additional three minutes.

Pressurized, air-conditioned refuge floors are located on every 13th floor (13, 26, 39, 52, etc.), where people can shelter during the long walk down to safety in the event of an emergency or fire (gasp!)

Do you like this building design? Would you visit? If you do, keep in mind that it’s illegal to take pictures of government buildings or locals.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Diedre - I'll enjoy seeing what you post - I can't say I'm enamoured by this building ... but I'm sure I'd be bowled over if I ever visited. Interesting snippet about the extra 2 minutes for Ramadan should residents be higher than the 80th floor. Thanks too for the tip about where to take photos ... cheers and good luck with the A-Z - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!
      While the impressive design does seem to exude extravagance, it does so with an elegant austerity that I find neither welcoming nor off-putting. Even if I could afford to go there, I couldn’t afford to buy anything ;-) I did enjoy learning about this building, frequented as it is by so many different cultures. I look forward to your company along the way!

      Delete
  2. I can't say I really like the design, but there's no denying it is an amazing structure. It rather looks as if it's capable of piercing the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! We think alike, Deborah. The sharpness of the spire is a bit intimidating ;-)

      Delete
  3. It's highly unlikely that I'd visit a Muslim country so I'd probably never see this tower in person. However, I've seen plenty of photos of it. Was this the building that was in one of the Mission Impossible movies?

    I really don't think I'd want to live in a building like this. Definitely not if it were in L.A.--doesn't seem like a good place to be in an earthquake.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out Battle of the Bands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee!

      I've not seen any Mission Impossible movies, but I believe it is highly possible;-)
      Now that you mention it, I recall reading where initial pre-construction evaluations indicated a moderate probability of quake activity. Extra measures were taken to ensure stability - just in case.
      Still, no. I wouldn't want to live there either ;-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing the stunning images of this building. Truly, what a view! And the history is fascinating. Yet, the beauty pushes me away a bit, for we have so much while others struggle. Congrats on participating in the A-Z challenge! Thank you also for visiting my PAD April's poem-a-day challenge. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth!

      Interesting viewpoint. Perhaps the premise was indeed a lavish playground for the elite. Somehow I appreciate picnics in the park and campfire songs all the more ;-)
      Enjoy your poem-a-day challenge!

      Delete
  5. Howdy, dIEDRE ~

    >>... Because the sun can still be seen from the higher floors for a time after it has set, clerics have decided that residents or occupants above the 80th floor must wait an additional two minutes before ending the observance of Ramadan. Those living above the 150th floor must wait an additional three minutes.

    GOL!
    (Guffaw-Out-Loud!)

    That's hilarious to me!
    Don't ask why. You don't wanna know.
    (But here's a small clue: It has to do with the difference between "Religion" and authentic Spirituality.)

    >>... Do you like this building design?

    No. It reminds me of a Covid-666 vaccine needle.
    (No thanks. I'll take my chances with what God designed in me.)

    Your Friend,
    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, Stephen T!

      Ha! I agree, two vastly different subjects (just ask the people of Sedona). And I appreciate your candor ;-)
      A needle was my first impression as well, second chances notwithstanding.
      Wishing you a pleasant April ;-)

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!