One book leads to another...

Friday, April 1, 2022

A to Z Blogging Challenge - A


A to Z April (2022) Blogging Challenge


Hello, dear readers!

I’d like to thank you all in advance for stopping by, and hope that at least a few on my list of remarkable buildings pique your interest as they did mine.

 “Design is not a coincidence or a formula; it is a result of human reflection and vision in response to a specific challenge.” — Unknown

A

Absolute Towers

 

In the world of architecture, Mississauga, Canada’s Absolute Towers are stunning demonstrations of Modernism’s famous motto: A house is a machine for living in. The curvaceous residential project, affectionately nicknamed the Marilyn Monroe towers, began its twisting ascent in 2006, linking a rapidly developing city to the intrinsic elements of the natural landscape. The unique design includes a continuous balcony that wraps around the entire building, eliminating vertical barriers typically used in high-rise architecture. Meanwhile, the building itself rotates by different degrees, at different levels, strategically coalescing urban and natural scenic views.

 


These award-winning towers are truly striking to look at, but I wonder if anyone ever gets dizzy?

 

  

10 comments:

  1. What an interesting design. I never heard of it before. Thanks for sharing about it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie!

      I agree. I would never have guessed that these are residential buildings :-)

      Delete
  2. Interesting design! I think it might make one dizzy to be in it, though.

    Ronel visiting for the A-Z Challenge My Languishing TBR: A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ronel!

      I'm with you on that. I don't even do well on Merry-go-rounds ;-)

      Delete
  3. Stunning architecture. I would be curious to see the inside of the building as well.

    Maggie visiting from AtoZ https://fromcavewalls.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie!

      I think I would too. I wonder how aquariums and flowers in vases fare in a rotating building ;-)

      Delete
  4. This is bizarre architecture--amazing to see and befuddling to consider. The way things have been going in the world of design what other crazy buildings architects come up with. We have our share here in L.A. And for something completely different, we have the Watts Towers.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out Battle of the Bands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee!

      In addition to cultural influences, there's a lot more thought being put into eco-friendly materials and high-rise buildings designed to sway with the wind these days. Not sure I'm completely comfortable with that ;-)
      Those Watts Towers really are something, aren't they? They are cultural landmarks, though I'm not quite sure why. When I first saw them (as a kid) I assumed they were electrical towers or something.
      Yes, you do have quite a few interesting buildings in your area ;-)

      Delete
  5. How cool to see you've started in my neck of the woods! Although I've driven by these towers countless times, I knew nothing about their history. Thanks for the education!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!

      I thought of you as I learned about it ;-)

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!