One book leads to another...

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Friends of the Famous - E



Albert Einstein was convinced that the housecat (reportedly left in his care by his daughter) suffered from depression every time it rained. Einstein was quoted as saying “I know what’s wrong, dear fellow. But I don’t know how to turn it off.”  Widely known for his distinctive hairstyle and expressive face, few took note of the fact that Einstein never wore socks if he could get away with it, married his cousin and thought so little of money that he once used a $1500 check as a book mark, then lost the book!
"Isn't it strange that I who have written only unpopular books should be such a popular fellow?" - Albert Einstein 


Can you guess which movie this was?
While you’d never run across a dog or cat in the Clint Eastwood household (due to severe allergies); you might expect a tour of the “Rat Room”, where at one point at least fourteen furry friends were kept. Chickens (requested by the kids) roam the manicured grounds, as well as numerous birds, a chinchilla, occasional rescue animals in need a place to recover from broken wings or bones, a pig and a very sociable (according to Eastwood) 80 lb. tortoise who enjoys human company in the courtyard.

What if the original Crazy Cat Lady was not a lady at all, but a highly acclaimed poet named T.S. Eliot? Yes folks, the legacy of the Nobel Prize-winning author of “The Waste Land” and of source material for the longest running musical of all time, ‘Cats’ leaves no doubt he was a devoted friend of felines!
“Gus is the Cat at the Theatre Door.
His name, as I ought to have told you before
Is really Asparagus. That's such a fuss
to pronounce, that we usually call him just Gus…”
Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot


In keeping with my theme for the month, my thought for this IWSG day is regarding the process of Incorporating into or writing as, an animal in a story. While having a pet as inspiration is certainly optimal, what do you do if you don’t happen to have, for instance, a giraffe around to assist you?  For the most part, NationalGeographics.com is my go-to. How about you?



Would you use a check as a bookmark? Would you keep a rat as a pet? 


Another form of page-marking

10 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Diedre!

    Mrs. Shady calls me "Einstein" every time I forget to pick up a much needed item at the grocery store. :) I truly do model Einstein's behavior, however, every time I use a 100 dollar bill to light my cigar. :) It's rather odd that Clint Eastwood was severely allergic to dogs and cats but kept a menagerie of rats, chickens and other beasts. My nephew once collected mice and had dozens of them. You could tell by the smell the moment you entered his apartment! My niece and her husband currently raise snakes in their home, another hobby that does not interest me in the least.

    Thank you very much, dear friend Diedre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! Please check below for my reply, dear Shady. Clearly, a second cup of coffee was in order ;-)

      Delete
    2. I'm reading you loud and clear, dear friend!

      Delete
  2. Ha, Einstein :-) I can just picture it, my friend!
    In regards to Eastwood, I imagine it would be awful to have both an affection and an allergy to animals. I hadn't thought about the smell. ew;-)
    Have a terrific day, dear Shady:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never use a check for a bookmark. In fact, the moment I receive a check from someone else, I'm putting my jacket on so I can drive to the bank. Ironically though, I do have a fake Million Dollar Bill laminated and use that for a bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Jeffrey;-) Some time ago I was crushed when ink from a business card rubbed off on a book I was reading. Your laminated million sounds much more appropriate:-)

      Delete
  4. I don't know that I'd put my tortoises into a story. They're more like my little hard-shelled Muses. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my desert tortoise was fond of hibernating under my credenza I wrote a flash fiction about him answering the phone while I was out, pretending to be me and securing the publishing deal of a lifetime:-) All of nature is my muse, and little people too! Enjoy the the sand beneath your feet, Madeline. It must be wonderful to live near the ocean:-)

      Delete
  5. My dog doesn't get depressed when it rains, but the noise freaks her out, especially if it's raining hard. And then if it thunders, she just shakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my girls gets really anxious at any noise i.e., lawn mower, disposal, so you can imagine how she gets in a thunder storm. Poor baby doesn't care that her hiney doesn't fit all the way under the bed:-)

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!