One book leads to another...

Wednesday, August 5, 2026

IWSG August 2026 Between Two Thieves

 


Welcome readers, writers, authors, and bloggers!

We're glad you're here! It's the First Wednesday of the month; when we celebrate IWSG Day in the form of a blog hop featuring members and guests of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Founded by author Alex Cavanaugh (Thank you, Captain!) and fostered by like-minded associates, IWSG is a comfortable place to share views and literary news as we record our journeys. Check out our newsletter here.

The awesome co-hosts for this month’s posting of the IWSG are  Shannon Lawrence, Liza, Pat Garcia, and me; diedre Knight!

 Today’s entirely optional question: As a writer/author, what is something you regret? Or something that you wish you’d done differently in your writing process?

Oh sure. I have regrets. But I keep all those shoulda-woulda-coulda thoughts that would do me no good to dwell upon now in a box with a lid, covered with an old red bandana and tucked way in the back of a drawer I only open every other week or so.

I should have used a pen name. Why didn’t I pay more attention to illustrations? Why did I change the title at the last minute? I should have networked more. Much more.

“We crucify ourselves between two thieves: Regret for yesterday and fear of tomorrow” ~ Fulton Oursler

If you’re interested, August is Read a Romance Novel Month 😉 August 20th is National Radio Day – Did you know from 1917 till 1919 (WWI) private American citizens were not allowed to own radio receivers?

Did you know The Compleat Angler is the most frequently reprinted book in English Literature?

Smokey the Bear turns 82 on the 9th!

 


 

Thanks for having me as your co-host today!

39 comments:

  1. Two thieves indeed!
    Thanks for co-hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for co-hosting today. We all have things we wish we did better when we look back at life. Keep your box closed. You've learned from your regrets and just need to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have many regrets that could fill a notebook. LOL! Good quote. And thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathrina! Thank you, I do enjoy co-hosting. Isn't it nice to have a place like IWSG where sharing makes the bummers better? :-)

      Delete
  4. I laughed reading this only because my blog post title this month is “Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.” I think we should all strive to not let our regrets outweigh our accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Anon! I hope to run across your blog ;-)

      Delete
  5. I'm with you. There are always things we could beat ourselves up about, but there are also blue skies ahead and we have a choice about what to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal! Your mention of "blue skies" gave me a happy sigh ;-)

      Delete
  6. My regret is similar to those, it's doubt and not understanding my own process sooner. Thank you for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tyrean! Understanding the process is an issue for many of us. It's why I think networking is so important. We can share what we know and find what we need - even if it's only a cyberhug ;-)

      Delete
  7. Your quote is better than mine.
    Thanks for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used something of a pen name, but I'm not sure it was a good idea, so don't make that one of your regrets. Thanks for the great job of co-hosting today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee! Thanks for the tip. Thanks for having me as co-host ;-) It really is a treat.

      Delete
  9. August is read a romance book month? Well I've got that one covered! And an excellent excuse for reading my books, on top of it. Awesome. Thanks for co-hosting today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Something tells me you've been busy ;-) Happy reading - and writing!

      Delete
  10. I think we all have some regrets--if we've lived long enough to do anything, we probably regret some things we did and more things we didn't do. But we are always going on from where we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca!
      "...On from where we are." sounds like the title of a book I'd probably love ;-)

      Delete
  11. Actually, I'm reading lots of romance these days, part of a strategy to create distance from reality! Your humor brought a smile, thank you. And thank you for reminding us that we can just keep those should-have, could-have, would-haves all in a box, tightly closed, and maybe intentionally misplaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! I read 3 or 4 books (various genres) a month for that same purpose ;-) Yes, we can absolutely stash regrets away for when we want to see how far we've come. Happy writing - and reading!

      Delete
  12. I always thought regrets are pointless, unless you use them as blueprints for your future change.
    A romance month, is it? Good. I love romance. I read at least one romance novel every month of every year, usually more than one. Romance is such a soothing genre, so far away from reality, I consider it a subgenre of fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Blueprints for future change," I love that! thanks, Olga ;-)

      Delete
  13. Those are great regrets. I nodded on all of them, though they didn't bother me when I was doing them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep all those shoulda-woulda-coulda thoughts that would do me no good to dwell upon now in a box with a lid, covered with an old red bandana and tucked way in the back of a drawer I only open every other week or so.
    Kudos on the creative, though likely untrue as per your fiction writer roots, way to hide away any regrets...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Fulton Oursler quote, Diedre. I try to avoid these two thieves. My worst regrets are about the hurt I've caused some people, and I've done what I can to make amends. Thanks for co-hosting today! All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you, Fundy Blue! The very best to you as well ;-)

      Delete
  16. Hi Diedre,
    I am learning to take all those would've, could've etc and putting them behind me as I move forward.
    Thank you for co-hosting.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat!
      Putting them behind us as we should, I guess :-)
      It's a pleasure to co-host as I enjoy the like-minded company. Happy August!

      Delete
  17. What a fun read! I enjoyed the facts, especially 'American citizens were not allowed to own radio receivers' during WWI.
    Thanks for co-hosting this month.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for co-hosting this month!
    I love that quote. It's so me.
    With me, I'd be regretting why didn't I change that title.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting about the radio receivers! A whole receiver prohibition. Now I have to look that up for a story. Also, love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon! I was doing some research myself for National Radio Day when I found that interesting piece of information.
      Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  20. Those are lots of positive thoughts! And I love the Compleat Angler factoid! Thanks for cohosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're right - it does no good to dwell on regrets. Far better to focus one's energy on moving forward.

    Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!