One book leads to another...

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

IWSG - April 2024 - Blog Writing

 


Welcome readers, writers, authors, and bloggers!

We're glad you're here! It's the First Wednesday of the month; when we celebrate IWSG Day in the form of a blog hop featuring members and guests of the Insecure Writer's Support GroupFounded by author Alex Cavanaugh (Thank you, Captain!) and fostered by like-minded associates, IWSG is a comfortable place to share views and literary news as we record our journeys. Check out the April newsletter here.

The awesome co-hosts for the January 1 posting of the IWSG are Janet Alcorn, T. Powell Coltrin, Natalie Aguirre, and Pat Garcia!

 Today’s entirely optional question: How long have you been blogging (Or on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter?)? What do you like about it, and how has it changed?

Let's talk about April, a month that holds a special place in my heart as it's National Card and Letter Writing Month. There's something magical about the concept of writing letters, isn't there? The act of putting our thoughts, emotions, and words on paper, crafting sentences as sharp as arrows dipped in indelible ink. It's a joy I can't quite put into words.

But then, you wait forever and a day for a reply. For all you know, the mail carrier moved across the nation with your letter still in his bag. I’ve never been a nail-biter, but if I was, this would be a viable reason to do so.

Instead, I give hydraulic office chairs a daily workout with incessant foot-swinging. If I’m to see over the top of the desk, I’ve got to pump the chair to its highest extent, leaving my dangling feet with nothing better to do than swing around all day until the chair surreptitiously pumps back down to chin-in-pencil-drawer height. I overheard a boss say to a coworker: “If her (meaning me) feet are swinging, words are zinging across her page.”

Blogging effectively preempts the anxiety of waiting. If communication is the goal (and it is for me), blogging is practically instant gratification! I’ve been blogging since 2012 and enjoy the connections I’ve made. I thought Facebook would be much the same, but it isn’t. I honestly don’t know anyone who really has half a million friends and family. Do you?

I haven’t noticed too many changes in blogging. Updates typically enhance the experience.  I tend to rely on my savvy blogger friends for tips on how to stay safe…

Happy writing – in any form!

P.S.

My apologies if you came by earlier while I was nursing a migraine. All is well, but these things happen sometimes. Have a fantastic IWSG Day!



15 comments:

  1. Letter writing seems to be a lost art. I haven't written any in years! Emails, on the other hand... As for blogging, I think its popularity has waned and many of us used to be more prolific. That led to blogger burnout for me. I was spending too much time at the computer and not getting enough exercise, so I've been trying to cut it back for some time already. Still, the lure is strong, as are the connections to fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!
      My thoughts exactly ;-) And just when you finally have the time for blogs, it seems topics become scarce. I did enjoy the few A to Z Challenges I participated in.
      Thanks so much for coming by!

      Delete
  2. We still send thank you cards.
    Blogging does give you quick feedback and it's usually encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, Alex ;-) Gratitude is so important any way, and cards are a fun way of showing it.
      I consider the Card Aisle of any store a major destination. Pay no attention to the groans of my family in the background...

      Delete
  3. You hit on something that I think is a real motivation for keeping blogging alive and well. It has in many ways taken the place of letter writing, and I think using the written word to communicate is still an essential art for us.

    https://cleemckenziebooks.substack.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lee! I often think of blogging as a group letter, where you're attempting to engage more than one person.
      I kept taking wrong turns trying to find you yesterday. I'll try again today ;-)

      Delete
  4. I was just re-reading letters my late husband wrote me when we first got together and were living in different cities. They're priceless.

    I think less people are blogging and reading blogs these days, but I still enjoy connecting with other writers through blogging. It's so much easier to develop stronger friendships that X or FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, cyberhugs to you, dear Natalie. I bet those letters are, indeed, priceless.
      The pandemic gave us all a dose of isolation, and I think we're trying (perhaps too hard) to fill with sight and sound a void that might otherwise be accepted as comfortable solitude. This too, shall pass, as they say. And we'll always have friends, family - and books ;-) Thanks for co-hosting!

      Delete
  5. Hi, Diedre! I love to write letters and cards too. It's sad that so many have given that up. And I love to connect with others via blogging. FaceBook doesn't have the same feeling of intimacy. Some of my best friends are blogging buddies! All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Fundy Blue! I agree. Thankfully, I didn't go in to Facebook with high expectations ;-) Blogging buddies are the best!

      Delete
  6. Hi Diedre - I still write letters, while my blog name is indicative of this. I do send letters and cards - not as many as I used to. Blogging - now I'm doing it and have been for 16+ years ... I'd hate to give it up. As you mention we learn from others around us - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!
      You write such lovely blogs, I can only imagine what a treasure your letters must be. Have a wonderful April!

      Delete
  7. We've been blogging for the same length of time, and I'm happy that you're a part of my blogging community. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I can't remember the last time I wrote an actual letter--and I used to be a prolific letter-writer! I'd also get so excited to receive a letter, I'd practically mug the postman. Email and social media aren't the same, but as you say, they're a lot closer to instant gratification.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!