One book leads to another...

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

IWSG Sept 2023 12th Anniversary!

 


Welcome readers, writers, authors, and bloggers!

We're glad you're here! It's the First Wednesday of the month when we celebrate IWSG Day in the form of a blog hop featuring members and guests of the Insecure Writer's Support GroupFounded by author Alex Cavanaugh (Thank you, Captain!) and fostered by like-minded associates, IWSG is a comfortable place to share views and literary news as we record our journeys. Check out the September newsletter here.

Our awesome co-hosts this month are:   Sonia Dogra, J Lenni Dorner, Pat Garcia, Sarah - The Faux Fountain Pen, and Meka James!

Happy 12th anniversary, IWSG! I haven’t been around quite that long, but that doesn’t curb my enthusiasm ;-) Cyber hugs all around!

The optional question(s) for this month is: When did you discover the Insecure Writer’s Support Group, how do you connect, and how has it helped you?

My first IWSG post was on May 4, 2016. I talked in somewhat over-flowing prose about stalking my mail carrier for a response to a submission. I shared a quote by Malcolm Forbes about how failure is success if we learn from it. Then I unabashedly wrapped up with a transcribed embrace for all of us: “The surest thing you’ll ever know is when words still flow unfettered…”

As far as I can tell, July 6, 2016, was the very first official Optional Question of the Month. The question was: What’s the best thing someone has ever said about your writing?

My answer was that someone said I paint beautiful word pictures.  The compliment came from an author I deeply loved as a friend and respected as a mentor.  She’s gone now, but her words remain embedded in my heart, indelible proof that someone – and not just anyone – believed in me. I can’t adequately describe how heartening that was. Is. She might as well have been the one jogging behind me the first time I rode my bike without training wheels. The one who let go, knowing I’d be alright.

Encouragement instills confidence, which has everything to do with success. Members of IWSG already know these are just a couple of the many nouns we pass around like reassuring hugs. Inspiration is another. Join us and see for yourself!




I'm on the road today, dear friends. So I'll be just a little behind schedule on my visits ;-)



18 comments:

  1. Hi! Your memory about the beginning with IWSG is so vivid. And the support and encouragement you received by way of that compliment is so wonderfully described. Happy IWSG Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sonia!
      I feel fortunate in so many ways. IWSG has been incredibly instrumental in providing a safe, comfortable atmosphere in which to pay the good fortune forward ;-)
      Happy IWSG Day to you as well, and thank you for co-hosting!

      Delete
  2. That's great that you have such detailed memories of your first post. I love how you describe the support and encouragement this group offers. Have safe travels today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Natalie!
      By now you've knocked your SCBWI gig right out of the park, I imagine. You do know how amazing you are, right?
      I'm glad your daughter's wedding went as planned. The pictures capture the "moment" perfectly ;-)
      Made it home safe and sound, thanks!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful word pictures - now that is a high compliment indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex!
      Undeniably indelible. And if ever I have doubts, IWSG is the best ever safety net.

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed that you found that bit of IWSG history! Thanks for that. Have a great trip wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The good side of the internet double-edge is that nothing ever really goes away ;-) Not that I would change a thing about IWSG. It's been like a magical carriage on a journey I hope never ends. Captain Alex was certainly perceptive to have conceived a group so perfectly suited for writers.
      Enjoyed an extra-long weekend in the woods, much cooler weather, rain most afternoons...Meanwhile, summer seems to be digging in its heels here in the desert.
      Wishing you tangible joys of the season!

      Delete
  5. I love how that compliment has still stuck with you and encouraged you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah!
      I imagine it will forever light my writing journey ;-) Thanks for co-hosting!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful word pictures - nice. Mine is usually word salad or verbal diarrhea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C.D. Ha! You are uniquely you - and quite good at it if all those sales mean what I think they do ;-)

      Delete
  7. Hi Diedre - glad you're home safe and sound. The IWSG group has been amazing ... I watched for a while as I wasn't authoring anything - then realised that blogging could be in the mix. I was doing the A-Z second year (2011) it came around ... it's such an encouraging area to be involved in: I'm always delighted to 'see' everyone - and have learnt so much - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this comment, Hilary! You've explained exactly why this community works so well - encouragement. What is the worth of a sentence or a novel without a reader? Every word and every one matters at IWSG. Which reminds me it's wonderful to 'see' you too, Hilary ;-)

      Delete
  8. To "paint beautiful word pictures" is such a wonderful compliment. I'd like to hear someone say the same about my writing.
    You've been very consistent in your blogging since you've started. Thank you for being there and showing me so much support. Without those like you I probably wouldn't be blogging for long.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those words meant the world to me, Lee. They were the incentive I needed to get on out there. Getting out there was how I found and followed you. Thank you, my friend, for being such an inspiration!

      Delete
  9. Aw, painting word pictures is such a huge compliment! How lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! Encouraging to say the least ;-) Certainly keeps me trying.

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!