One book leads to another...

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

IWSG February 2023 Book Covers


 Welcome readers, writers, authors, and bloggers!

We’re glad you’re here! It's the First Wednesday of the month; when we celebrate IWSG Day in the form of a blog hop featuring all of the members of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Founded by author Alex Cavanaugh (Thank you, Captain!) and fostered by like-minded associates, IWSG is a comfortable place to share views and literary news from our perspective writing desks as we record our journeys. Check out the February newsletter here

Our awesome co-hosts this month are:  Jacqui Murray, Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Pat Garcia, and Gwen Gardner!   Feel free to hop around and say hello to everyone!

The optional question for this month is:  February 1 question - If you are an Indie author, do you make your own covers or purchase them? If you publish trad, how much input do you have about what goes on your cover?

As an Indie author, you can create your own cover or choose from any gallery you like. You can change your mind as many times as it takes to look and feel just right. It’s not free or as easy as it looks, but it is an enjoyable and rewarding experience. While Traditional publishers alleviate many of the trepidations, they also have a say in the look and feel of your cover because they control the purse strings and the timeline and prefer to keep both at a minimum.

We’ve come a long way since the first Dust Jackets. Did you know it was Lewis Carroll who first requested (1876) his titles be printed on the spines of the plain “paper wrappers” that encased his books? While that became a standard, any other printing that appeared on the front, back, or flaps of dust jackets has always been determined by the publishers. By the 1920s, much more emphasis was being placed on the Dust Jacket than the ornate binding it was created to protect as publishers began to hire commercial artists to design attractive jackets in addition to including author bios and synopsis’ on the inside flaps.

Our library had a number of old books without dust jackets. I’d run my finger over the title embossed on a cover and try to imagine the storyline. Or what the author was like. There was a certain excitement in simply wondering.

Happy writing, all!



25 comments:

  1. That's an interesting tidbit about dustjackets!

    Ronel visiting for IWSG day Strategies to Be a Successful Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ronel,
      Jacket designs were the only way to go back in the day...in many ways they still are. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  2. So true what you say about Indie authors having much more control over their covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie!
      Now if I just had more control over cover creativity - ha!

      Delete
  3. Now when one reads a hardcover book, you take the jacket off so it doesn't get damaged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father has a huge library of books, the shelves in his office bulged with so many. But his prize possession is a complete collection of leather-bound Louis L'Amour books, with gold-stamped lettering on the spines. That's still what I picture when I think of fancy or classy books.

    I love the little troll library diorama! Is that yours? Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My introduction to Louis L'Amour were beat-up old paperbacks!

      Delete
    2. So do I, C.D. In fact, we had at least a couple Louis L'Amour books in our library too. The little bookshelf library was a Christmas gift to me. I decided to share it with my troll collection ;-)

      Delete
  5. Interesting about Lewis Carroll. Thanks for that factoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqui,
      I thought so too ;-) Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  6. Very interesting, Deirdre. And you raise an important point about designing your own covers. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!
      A bit like dressing for a night (or in the case of a cover) a lifetime on the town ;-)
      Happy reading!

      Delete
  7. That's an interesting tidbit on C.S. Lewis! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen!
      You're welcome ;-) Lewis was certainly a trail-blazer.

      Delete
  8. Howdy, dIEDRE ~

    I'm not really a writer. Just a blogger. But I've written some blog bits that were so lengthy they were on their way to becoming booklets, at least.

    You may remember the one I wrote years ago titled GOLDENSHADOW: “THE STAB, THE PANG, THE INCONSOLABLE LONGING”.

    I definitely won't, but if I ever did try to expand on that and create a book or booklet from that idea, I know what my book / booklet cover would look like.

    Last December 26th, in the late afternoon, I was sitting in the living room in a chair, just resting and staring out the front window of the house. When the Sun started to set and the light was streaming through a side window. It illuminated a metallic Christmas tree with gold ornaments on it, which had been gifts from a cousin, Mary Ann, way back in the 1980s and early '90s. Mary Ann is gone now, but every year I put her tree and ornaments out at Christmastime.

    Well, the way the light was shining on the tree and ornaments really floored me! I realized that it *literally* represented my concept of "Goldenshadow". I was overwhelmed by that Goldenshadow feeling and even now, just looking at these two cell phone photos brings it all back to me in full force.

    Other than my Brother, you are the first person to see these pictures. I'm curious if they affect you in any way even remotely like they do me. The second photo (2) - the slightly darker one - is almost emotionally painful for me to look at. It's just so-oooo Goldenshadow that, for me, it completely expresses that mood which I called "the stab, the pang, the inconsolable longing".

    [Link> 'GOLDENSHADOW' - Photo 1 (full size)

    [Link> 'GOLDENSHADOW' - Photo 1 (close-up)

    [Link> 'GOLDENSHADOW' - Photo 2 (full size)

    [Link> 'GOLDENSHADOW' - Photo 2 (close-up)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ya, Stephen T.!
      Not a writer? Coulda fooled me...
      I do remember a bit about the origins of "Goldenshadow". I even recall something about Mary Ann's tree. But, leapin' lizards! It's lovely! Photo #2 is my favorite as well. Gads, I half expected to see it shimmer in its own glow within the shadowy ambiance. Awesome!
      Now, about that manuscript... ;-)

      Delete
  9. One of the things I always appreciated about public libraries was that they kept the book jacket on the book. I've worked in academic libraries for, well, a very long time, and the tradition was always to toss the book jacket. That's changing in some places, thank goodness. And more academic books are being published in paperback so the art is part of the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gasp! I'm glad that preserving the jacket is back in vogue ;-) Academic books in paperback? Now, that is interesting.

      Delete
  10. Hi Diedre, thanks for the fun fact about Lewis Carroll, I didn't know that before.
    I do like the control element of doing my own book covers but my skills in that area are very limited. I'll definitely need help when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Heather!
      I agree. I'm also really glad there are so many resources available these days.

      Delete
  11. Hello again. I accidentally posted the above comment as anonymous. Oops!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Diedre - I certainly didn't know there was so much change in dust jackets ... fascinating how now we just pick a book up with so many images and words ... letting us have an insight into its content. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!
      Not to be outdone by the movie industry, books now have "paper trailers" that are valuable as the books themselves ;-)
      Happy February!

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!