One book leads to another...

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

IWSG October 2022 Cliffhangers


 Welcome readers, writers, authors, and bloggers!

We’re glad you’re here! It's the First Wednesday of the month; when we celebrate IWSG Day in the form of a blog hop featuring all of the members of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Founded by author Alex Cavanaugh (Thank you, Captain!) and fostered by like-minded associates, IWSG is a comfortable place to share the views and literary news from our perspective writing desks as we record our journeys. Check out the October newsletter here

Our awesome co-hosts this month are: Tonja Drecker, Victoria Marie Lees, Mary Aalgaard, and Sandra Cox!    Stop on by and say Hello!

The optional question for this month is: What do you consider the best characteristics of your favorite genre?

As a reader, I love an unassuming (beat-up shoes and a stain on his shirt) hero with a taste for Red Vines, methodically plodding through impossible plot twists and deceptive clues that lead him to conclude that the ghost of the mansion didn’t kill the widow, the cable guy did.

As a writer, what I love most about paranormal is the absolute unpredictability. I can be curious or evil. Or curiously evil. I can save the day or end the world, and if I truly believed that, I wouldn’t be so flippant ;-) Likewise, teens and young adults, I suppose, who also seem to grasp this genre. Except, they’ve clicked the unpredictability level all the way up to Cliffhanger endings. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I love a good “page-turner,” but to be left hanging without the promise of a sequel or a “Tune in again next week, folks,” is a fresh form of literary torture ;-)

In the Children’s books category, I strive for simplicity in powerful messaging, particularly on issues involving family, friendship, courage, and kindness. And hope. Hope does for children what sunshine does for gardens.

It’s officially the holiday season! Any plans for Halloween? Most of our local stores skipped right over it and put out Thanksgiving decorations. I’ve even seen a few Christmas trees.

Did you know Washington Irving, author of “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” is buried at Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, about a stone’s throw from the setting of the 1820 short story. Besides Mr. Irving – and the Rockefellers, there are a ton of notable people interred there, including Paul Leicester Ford. The great-grandson of Noah Webster (yes, of Miriam-Webster), Ford was a famed novelist and biographer until his untimely death at the hands of his own brother. Ford’s only child, a daughter, was born one month after his passing.

As is customary for a non-profit institution owned collectively by its lot owners, visiting hours at Sleepy Hollow cemetery are strictly enforced, and visitors are requested to act as if they are attending a funeral or visiting one of their own. I think the request is fair.

I know a lot of people do, but I can’t imagine visiting a cemetery on a Halloween tour. Can you? Have you?

What do you think of the recent “Cliffhanger” trend in YA paranormal novels?

Have an inspiring month!

19 comments:

  1. I like stories in any genre that have twisty plots. I don't mind a story ending on a cliffhanger if it's part of a series. Otherwise, I like a satisfying ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie!
      I agree, twists keep the pages turning. And cliffhangers are fine as long as you know the "show" will go on ;-)

      Delete
  2. I don't read young adult but I don't like cliffhanger endings in any book.
    There are some Halloween things out - mostly Target and Walmart - but other stores have gone right for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex!
      I often read for teens and YAs - interesting to see what interests them ;-)
      I peeked inside a "seasonal" store filled with Halloween stuff and couldn't distinguish the shoppers from the decorations ;-)

      Delete
  3. Sorry, Diedre. I like endings in all stories. Yes, series can have a larger arc that is not complete, but each individual story needs closure. Your website is beautiful. All best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria,
      Sorry? No need. I'm with you ;-)
      Thanks for co-hosting!

      Delete
  4. That cemetery sounds fascinating. I need closure, unless it's a series and I don't have to wait for the next book:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra!
      It does, in an eerie kind of way :-)
      Thanks for co-hosting!

      Delete
  5. Hi Diedre - the ending has to be good, not just fade off - which just crucifies the story for me, apart from irritating my little self!! I read mostly non-fiction ... so really am lost in other worlds eg Harry Potter etc etc ... but we read - and that's the main thing ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!
      Yes, Ma'am, reading is the main thing :-)
      Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  6. Yes. I think cemeteries are fascinating. So much history. Cool fun facts on Sleepy Hollow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary!
      Halloween and history are the crumbs of curiosity that drew me to Sleepy Hollow in the first place. Glad I checked it out ;-)
      Thanks for co-hosting!

      Delete
  7. dIEDRE ~

    >>... I love an unassuming (beat-up shoes and a stain on his shirt) hero with a taste for Red Vines, methodically plodding through impossible plot twists and deceptive clues that lead him to conclude that the ghost of the mansion didn’t kill the widow, the cable guy did.

    I wanna write a Horror / Mystery story where the butler is murdered, and it turns out that the cable guy dunnit.

    Maybe then the ghost of the butler murders the cable guy in retribution, so we have a story where BOTH the butler AND the cable guy dunnit.

    I dunno. Now it's starting to get too complicated and hurting my brain. Maybe I'll just drink beer and let someone else write this story. ;^D

    Interesting Fun Fact about Washington Irving and Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.

    I always act like a civilized, respectful adult in cemeteries -- which I find very interesting and which are ripe with potential for fascinating photos.

    In fact, just yesterday, I was in the Virginia City cemetery. I was sitting on a bench right across from a grave that had just been "filled" within the last 6 days. And I was attempting to text a friend of mine, but my phone started going wild. It was like the keypad was running itself and putting in a bunch of extra spaces and making new paragraphs when I didn't want that. No matter how many times I tried to correct the formatting, the phone would override my corrections. I finally had to give up the idea of texting my friend and put the phone away.

    An hour later, when I was home, the phone was working perfectly normal again. I dunno who was messing with my phone, but I'm guessing it was either the spirit of the recently buried man, the butler, or the cable guy.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Stephen T!

      Yikes, if the butler killed the cable guy - who killed the widow, the estate would be left to the one-eyed cat!

      Wow, do you suppose all the lines were busy at the cemetery? Kind of spooky. Mostly interesting. At least it was peaceful. Some very disrespectful "Campers" are invading our cemeteries here.

      Fun fact: Did you know the Ramones did a track for the Pet Sematary movie?

      Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  8. I don't like cliffhanger endings unless there is a sequel, Diedre. I'm still upset with the cliffhanger ending in the novel "Gone with the Wind" which I read way too many years ago. I know someone, not Margaret Mitchell, wrote a sequel, but I wouldn't read it. It just wouldn't be the same as one written by the original author. I like a good ending, even if it's tragic or sad. Have a great October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise!
      I know what you mean about Gone with the Wind. And you're right, another author just wouldn't be the same.
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. A cliffhanger without a sequel would be unsatisfying. I didn't know that was a trend. Interesting tidbits about Sleepy Hollow! A Halloween cemetery tour might be fun. I've participated in a few "Ghost Walks" and enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!
      It would seem the element of surprise in the ending is that there isn't one. Unsettling, don't you agree? Perhaps the kids don't take it as seriously as we do. I've not been on a Ghost Walk in a long time, but it was definitely thrilling ;-)
      Check out the link below for Streampebbles. Good to see you here!

      Delete
    2. I just saw on Stephen's blog that you're doing BOTB too. Have fun! ☺ I added Steam Pebbles to my feed reader as well.

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!