One book leads to another...

Monday, April 27, 2020

A to Z Historic Trivia - W


W

Ahead of tomorrow, I gather today
the wool of a thousand webs
Silvery threads with which to crochet
Hope, for despair must end.

Woolgather: to daydream
Dubbed the “largest roadless wilderness in the lower 48 states,” it was well worth the time it took to get to Idaho by car. Besides, our dearest friends had recently moved there, and a trip to cooler, unknown territory sounded appealing. Talk of our having brought record-breaking heat along with us notwithstanding, it was a tremendously fun vacation. When we weren’t out sight-seeing, the kids enjoyed our hotel pool.  One of our all-day adventures led us to the Hell’s Canyon area of the Snake River for an unforgettable white-water rafting adventure. Four kids, four adults (5, including our guide), make at least eighty white knuckles, the way I see it. Compared to the heat of the day, the water was bracing, the views breathtaking. The resort village of McCall is every bit as beautiful as it looks in magazine pictures. However, we were convinced there must have been a special event going on that day as we never did find a place to park.
Founded by F.W. Woolworth, the first Woolworth’s five-and-dime store in 1879. The fact that the store didn’t do so well at first didn’t bother Mr. Woolworth one bit. He brought his brother, who had an affinity for customer service, onboard and by the 100th Anniversary (according to Guinness Book) Woolworth’s was the largest department store chain in the world. I used to think they served the best French fries in the world!
Walgreens grew from 20 retail stores to nearly 400 during prohibition when the government allowed pharmacies to distribute whiskey.

 Popular video game designer Will Wright created “The Sims” after his house burned down during the Oakland Firestorm of 1991, and he needed to draw up new plans.

Arthur Wynne created the crossword puzzle in 1913 for the “Fun” section of the Sunday edition of the New York World Newspaper.  Remember the one in the TV Guide?

8 comments:

  1. Hi, diedre!

    I hope you had a nice weekend, dear friend. Happy "W" Day!

    I love learning new words and applications. I didn't know that woolgather means to have a daydream or to indulge in a fantasy.

    I'm happy you are delivering on your promise to discuss your family vacation in Idaho and your visit to the Hell’s Canyon area of the Snake River for a white-water rafting adventure. Have you ever watched the Alan Alda movie White Mile? It's about a group of Mad Men who take a trip to Canada for a whitewater rafting experience on Canada's White Mile. It's a good one!

    When I was a boy my mother often took me shopping to Woolworth's. Later on as a teenager I went to the store regularly to buy bargain packs of 45 rpm records, ten or twelve for 99 cents, sealed in plastic shrink wrap. Each pack was, as Forrest Gump's mom would have said, like a box of chocolates. You never knew what you were gonna get. I added some exciting new sounds to my collection buying those mystery bundles.

    I had no idea Walgreens is that old. In fact it began at the very start of the 20th century. Thanks for the tidbits about Wright and Wynne, creators of The Sims and crossword puzzles respectively. Why didn't I think of either of those things? :)

    Thanks, dear friend diedre. I hope you have a great week as together we race toward the finish line! I am passing a bottle of water to you as we round the final bend and head down the straightaway toward A to Z glory! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady!

      I haven't seen White Mile, but I did see River Wild! Thankfully after my own adventure. I came to believe I'd survived something fairly monumental ; -)

      I did not know about the "Mystery bundles"! That's awesome!
      All those tidbits; Wright and Wynne, and I forgot to mention Frank Lloyd Wright coining the term "Carport" (I happened to see it in my notes when I came in today)

      Thanks for the water, my friend ;-) Looks like it will come in handy as we head for a record-breaking week of heat in April.

      Thanks for the company!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know Walgreens was so old. Never heard of it until I moved to the South.
    I bet white-water rafting was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex!

      I kind of thought Walgreens was pretty old because of the use of the mortar and pestle logo.

      Rafting was incredibly unforgettable! My legs were rubberbands for some time after.
      I was afraid the kids were terrified, yet they wanted to go again.
      Have a terrific week!

      Delete
  3. I remember Woolworths. They still have a five and dime in the town near where I grew up. My daughter still loves to go there when we visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie!

      Besides Thrifty's drugstore where they sold soft-serve ice cream, Woolworth's was THE place to go when you went downtown. Sadly, I don't think there are any left in the state.

      Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  4. Hi Diedre - Woolworths were wonderful shops when I was growing up - the source of 'everything' - much missed - but understandably other shops were more in keeping with the times. No mention of Walmart I see ... take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!

      The "Source of everything" is right! But no matter how they kept adding-to or reinventing, it was stores such as Walmart that led to Woolworth's decline.
      I didn't mention Walmart because I was sure someone else would ;-)
      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!