One book leads to another...

Saturday, April 18, 2020

A to Z Historic Trivia - P




P



Since before I read my first one, I knew I wanted to be a Paperback Writer. Possibly because of this song by the Beatles;  “It’s a thousand pages give or take a few, I’ll be writing more in a week or two,





The history of paperback books could easily inspire someone to pick up a pen, I think.

After a no-doubt pleasant weekend in the country with Agatha Christie, chairman of the British publishing house Bodley Head, Allen Lane searched the station racks for something enjoyable to read on the train back to London. Finding little more than trendy magazines, frustration led to brainstorm, and the idea of quality books being available for reasonable prices at places such as train stations began to form. 
When his proposal for a new imprint at Bodley Head was met with disinterest, Lane used his own capital and called his new house Penguin. He then acquired the reprint rights to ten highly acclaimed titles and proceeded to knock on non-bookstore doors. A subsequent order from Woolworth’s for 63 thousand books or so confirmed the viability of Lane’s brainchild. His books sold for under $3.00, and Lane knew sales volume would be crucial to financial success. The first ten wisely chosen titles by well-known authors, as well as a uniquely designed cover scheme which emphasized the Penguin brand ensured the sale of over three million copies in the first year. By 1937, Penguin expanded its imprint to include original nonfiction titles under the name Pelican.

The smaller size even made paperbacks popular with soldiers during WWII. It was said you could always tell a reader by the bulge in his hip pocket.

In 1938, The United States entered the softcover scene with the creation of Pocket Books.

Happy Saturday!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, diedre!

    I'm happy to know that The Beatles' hit song "Paperback Writer" inspired you to take up the Pensive Pen way back when. It's interesting to me that "Paperback Writer," a non-album single preceded in release by "Nowhere Man" from the album Rubber Soul, are songs indicative of The Beatles increasing maturity as lyricists and a change of direction. For the first time they were writing and recording songs entirely unrelated to romance or love. It was fortuitous that the English band captured your imagination at just the right moment to set you on course as a writer.

    "the idea of quality books being available for reasonable prices at places such as train stations began to form."

    Why didn't I think of that? :) I have no mind for business, and I admire those who are able to strike the perfect balance between price point and projected sales volume as Allen Lane did with his "novel" idea.

    "It was said you could always tell a reader by the bulge in his hip pocket."

    Are you an avid reader... or just happy to see me? :)

    This was fascinating. I enjoyed this history lesson about the development of the paperback. Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend diedre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady!

      Actually, it was one of those songs that never quite left my mind. I liked it that much. Embarrassing to admit is that I could not remember who recorded it. I was glad to realize it was the Beatles.

      Indeed, one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. Kind of like ORGAN Pipe cactus, right? I can't believe I didn't think of that for the letter O.

      To be fair, soldiers also stashed paperbacks in with their gas masks. I thought that was a little sobering so I left it out. Oh, and I challenge you, dear Shady, to find a less provocative term than bulge. Maybe it was just late at night, but the more I searched, the worse it got - ha!

      I'm glad you enjoyed - so did I - Thank you, my friend ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Diedre - it's a great story isn't it ... love paperbacks - especially the Penguin ones ... but I gave mine away to charity - I know they'll be loved by others. Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!

      Paperbacks being so affordable is what makes them so easily shared I guess :-) I sure don't mind, but my hardbacks are a different story - ha!

      So glad you came by!

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!