One book leads to another...

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

A to Z Historic Trivia - F


F 
 
In an attempt to find felicific topics for today’s post, I bypassed Freon, Ford Motor Company, frogs, and even some fun facts about our 154 National Forests to talk about Flamingos. The first time I ever saw one of the vibrantly Pink, bony-limbed beauties, I thought it was broken. Surely that backward bending knee couldn’t be right. Weighing in at under ten pounds, these tropical wading birds can grow to a height of five feet! And they weren’t as pink as I’d seen in books. I’ve since learned that in order to maintain their signature color, Flamingos need the beta-carotene contained in live shrimp and other crustaceans found in saltwater mudflats, something a local zoo might not have in abundance. At feeding time, or whenever they’re hungry, Flamingos sift the shallow waters of their favorite lagoon with their feet before taking beakfuls of soupy mud and tasty prey. Their beaks then work like strainers keeping food in, while letting water out – while their heads are upside down. 
When in flight, the black flight feathers (underside of their wings) add a touch of elegance in contrast to the somewhat awkward, yet mesmerizing group Flamenco (hence the name Flamingo) dance they do when they’re happy.  There are six different species in the Flamingo family – seven, if you include the all but extinct plastic variety introduced by Don Featherstone in 1957 (lasting only a couple of decades) when flamboyant yard art matched the color of indoor appliances.


We had a huge wagon wheel and a napping Panchito in our yard and every appliance (fridge, stove, oven), including a rotary dial wall phone with a 20 -foot cord - even the sink and breadbox – were fashionably pink. How about you?

Whoever coined the phrase “A Fruitcake is Forever” evidently wasn’t kidding. A century-old, perfectly preserved Fruitcake was discovered in Antarctica in 2017, and reported to have “smelled edible.”




Happy Blogging!


4 comments:

  1. Hi, diedre!

    Happy "F" Day, dear friend!

    I admire the graceful, colorful flamingo, and sadly recall a cruel person or persons attacking a group of them a few years ago at a zoo, leaving at least one bird dead and others wounded. Why? It's interesting that shrimp and other crustaceans they consume in their natural habitat produces their rich pink color. This post gives me the chance to remind you of the R&B doo-wop vocal group named The Flamingos, one of the many "bird groups" that released records in the 50s.

    We didn't have a wagon wheel in our yard, but my dad salvaged one from a northern Pennsylvania mountainside on family vacation one summer, brought it home, cleaned and painted it and mounted it atop the room divider that separated our kitchen from the living room. Hooked on the ceiling for support, the large wheel was the first thing people noticed when they entered the house - a genuine conversation starter.

    Every year my dad received a fruitcake as a Christmas present from a family member. We always laughed because he didn't like the loaf but didn't have the heart to tell the giver. I don't care for fruitcake either. It lies in the stomach and causes indigestion. It doesn't surprise me that a century old fruitcake was discovered intact and possibly still "edible." I wonder if any of those explorers at the South Pole had the courage to bite into it.

    Have a safe and healthy day, dear friend diedre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady!

      I liked the R&B Flamingo version of "I only have eyes for you" I didn't know until today that their's was a cover and not original.

      Sounds like your dad had a knack for design. How cool!

      Ha! I imagine the old fruitcake has been placed in the back of some supply closet - for re-discovery next century ;-)

      Thanks for your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. Flamingos are beautiful birds. We have a lot of wood storks here which remind me of Flamingos.

    Fruitcake is a problem every year for me. I've acquired a taste for it. My parents loved fruitcake and I guess I got the trait honestly. My favorite story when I taught was telling the kids about my dad getting a stomach problem every year from eating too many oranges. They could not imagine some one thinking oranges were that good. My great aunt tells how every Christmas, all the kids got half an orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann!

    I've never heard of wood storks. I'll have to check that out ;)

    You're the first person I've ever known who likes Fruitcake! Do you make your own?

    Half an orange is about my speed. I like frozen grapes.

    Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!