One book leads to another...

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

2018 A - Z Challenge - C


C           Things We Appreciate




Does anything convey morning like the aroma of freshly brewed coffee? Cinnamon rolls, perhaps? I sincerely appreciate whoever had the idea of putting Coffee Shops in bookstores.

Not only can you always get a fresh morning cup at my house, thanks to our resident Cactus Wrens, there’s usually a story unfolding right outside the kitchen window, as the industrious male unravels (thread by thread) the patio rug for use in the many nests he builds around the property.  While the crafty Wren does build decoys to mislead any predators, should you stumble onto an occupied nest you’ll discover his protective might is twice his size.  

Cactus Wren - Arizona State Bird



Without question, the invention of the tin can (1813) was a breakthrough in food preservation, though little thought seemed to have been given as to how to extract the food - other than “Cut round the top near the outer edge with a chisel and hammer.” Ezra Warner’s introduction of the first Can Opener, 45 years later, was readily accepted and widely used, especially by the military. Dozens of models, and decades after the P-38 model, the first electric can opener was sold in December of 1931. I think I still have one of those cutting wheel models in a drawer somewhere.

Inspired by reflective road signs, British inventor Percy Shaw invented Cat’s Eye road studs to help drivers see the actual road in heavy fog or at night. Another traffic safety innovation I truly appreciate are Center turn-only lanes; you don’t hear near as many car horns ;-)

When you’re relaxing beside a Campfire, you don’t think much about driving – or even your Cell Phone. Unless, of course, the Caller ID tells you that someone inside the cabin needs another drink of water before bed ;-)

Did you know that the red and white colors used on Campbell’s Soup cans were inspired by Cornell University Football jerseys?

Any thoughts? Can you add to the list of things we appreciate that begin with the letter C?

12 comments:

  1. Hi, diedre!

    Happy "C" day to you, dear friend! I read that the scent of cinnamon (along with vanilla) is an aphrodisiac. Has it ever been determined by a study that women who frequently bake cinnamon rolls have more children than women who don't? :)

    Funny you should mention coffee shops in book stores. Mrs. Shady and I are currently watching the entire Ellen sitcom from the beginning. As you might recall many scenes take place in Ellen's book store Buy The Book which has a coffee counter. In the mid 90s when the series began, having a coffee stand in a book store was still somewhat of a novelty, I think.

    I appreciated learning the habits of the Cactus Wren. Establishing decoy nests to confuse predators is a clever idea.

    If I had a nickel for every time I cut a finger trying to open a sealed tin can, I would be a rich man indeed. I still don't have the knack of working most electric can openers. I grew up having Campbell's Soup for lunch. My favorite was cream of mushroom. ‘Mmm, mmm, good!’

    Thank you very much, dear friend diedre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady!

      I imagine anyone who bakes cinnamon rolls would have a following - young and old ;-)

      I didn't know that Ellen had a sitcom! I did know about her talk show.

      Campbell's is still a favorite - I appreciate those new lids.

      Have a great day, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm... coffee.

    The best thing about waking up is...
    caffeine in your cup!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the jingle that will probably be in my head all day ;-)
      I raise my cup to you, Reno!

      Delete
  3. I do appreciate chocolate. And comedy. Caution, and courage. And my children, too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny!

      I knew someone would say chocolate ;-) It's an afternoon weakness for me. Sharing with children alleviates any guilt.
      I do enjoy comedy, one can never have too many laugh lines.
      Caution and Courage - Terrific additions to the list!

      Delete
  4. I don't usually read cinnamon rolls (they are not very common in Italy), but soemtimes I bake them myself. Then I'm not the only one to appreciate them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!

      Sharing makes everything sweeter ;-)

      I bet you have other delightful breakfast treats in Italy.

      Wishing you a glorious day!

      Delete
  5. Cinnamon rolls for sure! I love those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diedre - coffee definitely ... sadly plain with milk ... but then we can move on ... caramel ice=cream perhaps ... others at the moment I need a cotton cardigan - it's chilly! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!

      Cotton cardigans and Caramel Ice Cream seem a perfect team ;-)
      Wonderful additions to the list, thank you!

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!