One book leads to another...

Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Wild, Wild Best! Z is for...



Z is for Zuni Fleabane!  If there was ever a time I experienced Zen it would be while standing at Four Corners, USA. Imagine 360 degree choices, opportunities for new adventures every way you turn! Or perhaps it was just a lingering sense of spirits past; still whispering in the ruins I had just visited at Canyon de Chelly on the Navajo Nation…but that’s for a future blog- on to the letter Z!

The Navajo Nation is the largest land area (roughly 27 thousand square miles) retained by a United States tribe and much of it lies in Arizona. It is here that in the late 80’s scientists discovered the Zuni Fleabane flourishing nicely in the Chuska Mountains (it was heretofore thought to exist only in New Mexico). The Zuni Fleabane is listed as a threatened species.

 Also called “Summer Snow” these pretty little daisies bloom all summer long; enhancing the somewhat rough terrain in which they grow.
 
“Pluck not the wayside flower;
It is the traveler's dower.”
~William Allingham


Yay! I did the Blogging A to Z 2015 Challenge 2015!  And I bet you did too! I think I heard a collective sigh of relief.  A heartfelt thank you to everyone who visited The Wild, Wild Best - I had a blast and I hope you enjoyed.  I know I enjoyed every blog I visited and only wished I could have seen more, but evidently my computer security is on steroids!

12 comments:

  1. Zuni Fleabane is pretty! Sad that it's endangered. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only endangered in Arizona, I'm pretty sure New Mexico has plenty!

      Delete
  2. It's really beautiful, plus as flower names go, it's fun to say!


    @Get Lost in Lit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to say! I like the name 'Summer Snow' as well :-)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on completing the challenge, Deidre! I love the name "Zuni." Sounds like such a cute nickname:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Quanie! I can't wait to hear more about your new place and all those 'writerly' things that keep us on our toes! I like the idea of Zuni as a nickname - what a great prompt :-)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on finishing the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick! Thank you for such inspiring posts! I look forward to more:-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks Diedre. Well done on completing the challenge. It's a great feeling!
    I'm popping into as many of the blogs I haven't yet got to in April. I would have liked to follow this one. I'll try to get back and play catch-up.
    Shirley Corder from
    Out of Africa - Topics from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley! Yes it is a great feeling! I just took a peek at your posts and I too, should have already found you! I was mesmerized in two minutes flat! I'm intrigued that not only do you have a survival badge, but you've managed to include your posts - excellent! I'll be wandering over again, I'm sure. :-) Write on!

      Delete
  6. When I went to Four Corners I didn't stop to smell the Zuni Fleabane or get any kind of a Zen feeling period. We were basically rushing through and briefly looked at some of the wares the vendors were selling and quickly savored a Navajo taco--after so many years having passed I'm still craving another one of those tacos.

    Great finish to the Challenge. Thanks for joining us for 2015!

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Arlee :-) The pleasure was mine. Oh yes, the tacos are delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!