One book leads to another...

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Read, Write, Breathe - and Smile!



It’s National Reading Group Month and if you aren’t too engrossed in reading that epic novel, you could always sharpen your writing skills to write one with any of the many great resources offered by the Insecure Writers Support Group, founded by Alex Cavanaugh, right here and right now on this first Wednesday of the month, when IWSG members convene through blogging, Facebook, and Twitter to talk about whatever is on our writing minds and agendas. See what we’re all talking about here.

And if you dare... 


 
Just when I couldn’t imagine witnessing something exaltingly fresh, unexpectedly vivid - and absolutely free (yes, I thought I had ‘seen it all’), I spent a week watching seasonal transformations in the woods. I had one last fleeting thought of our sassy whiptail lizards, cavorting year-round in the unyielding desert back home before an autumn butterfly perched briefly on my keyboard as soaring treetops swayed in a bracing breeze that rushed the clouds across the sky as if they were late for something. 

You couldn’t have peeled me off that bench, from that place where it was suddenly clear how so many writers before me; Zane Grey, J.A. Jance, Stephanie Meyer and Barbara Park, had been so completely suffused in atmospheric inspiration.  

But I hadn’t come to write about nature or the weather, though I understand Climate-themed fiction is popular these days. Perhaps “The History of Bees” by Maja Lunde would lend insight as to how to keep them out of hummingbird feeders. As an adventurous spirit who still needs a home to return to, Barbara Kingsolver’s “Flight Behaviorcertainly weaves the dreaded word extinction into my unsuspecting thought waves.

But what was I going to write about? Checking my inboxes is one of my favorite distractions, and that’s when I read the latest (at the time) IWSG newsletter in which Ninja Captain, Alex reminded us of the upcoming deadline for submissions for the annual Anthology. Four hours, four (single-spaced) pages later, and it’s history in the making! How’s your journey?

In answer to the optional Question of the Month: “Have you ever slipped any of your personal information into your characters, either by accident or on purpose?  Indubitably ;-)

Happy Writing!


Why can’t people just sit and read books and be nice to each other?– David Baldacci, The Camel Club



17 comments:

  1. Hi, diedre!

    It always makes me happy to read your words, my dear friend. Visiting that wooded retreat far from your desert home must be heavenly, especially at this time of the year when the landscape is in transition. Here in my part of Florida the winds have been whipping and clouds racing, but it is unpleasant, a hot wind, not the refreshing kind. I yearn for that first invigorating cool snap of the season and, even better, an opportunity to examine colored autumn foliage in a mountainous setting far from my own home.

    I appreciate the David Baldacci quote, a variation on a familiar theme, a rhetorical question that remains unanswered.

    Thank you, and please take good care of yourself, dear friend diedre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady!
      I didn't expect the temperatures to be as cool as they were in the woods, but considering the timing and of course, the change of seasons, it was well worth wearing extra clothing ;-) Returning home was almost rude with temps in the high 90's ;-)
      I expect and truly hope that cooler winds soon blow your way. I know you and all in your area could use a bit of (weather) kindness.
      It was good to see you back at Music and Memories - I plan to catch up with the comments I haven't had a chance to post.
      Always good to see you, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Hi Diedre - congratulations on your entry - and those days communing with nature - such rich times ... enjoy the rest of Autumn - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary!
      Thanks! My fingers are crossed;-)
      "Rich times" - trust you (and your eloquence) to sum it up so perfectly.
      May you enjoy Autumn as well ;-)

      Delete
  3. Oh to get lost in a glorious nature setting. While visiting one of my critique partners in Tucson, my writing area opened up on a culvert where animals swarmed in for water at daybreak. I'd sit for an hour every morning just mesmerized. But that wasn't getting my book written. So I had to catch up in the airport waiting room . . . Happy IWSG Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy!
      And to think I live in Tucson and had to leave for inspiration! As always, I was happy to return. When the weather cools I'll be even happier;-)
      Isn't there something just so cleansing about getting lost in nature?
      Happy writing!

      Delete
  4. Nature is always inspiring. Thanks for the reminder.
    Good luck on your anthology submission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olga!
      Thanks, it's always worth the effort. Acceptance is a bonus;-)
      Have a wonderful October!

      Delete
  5. HiYa, dIEDRE ~
    I like your poetic style of writing. And I like your "No Coffee, No Workee" shirt, too. Ain't dat da twooth? I have to get up at 4:30 AM for my job, and I can assure you that without coffee, there'd be no me... doin' workee.

    [*I hope you don't mind me saying this, but... you are very cute. Are you a leprechaun?*]

    ~ D-FensDogG
    Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Reno!

      Yep. The roof could cave in, but the coffee pot better still be working ;-)
      I adore the concept of leprechauns, and surely would, if I could, be one!
      Top of the week to you, my friend:-)

      Delete
  6. Hi there. Thanks for the post. I love that you were outside, soaking in the positive energy of the world in transition, as you were writing. Good luck with your entry. I love the David Baldacci quote at the end of this post. Happy IWSG day (a day late) and happy writing to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy!
      Being outdoors is always a tremendous release for me and this time was all the more treasurable.
      Thanks for the wishes,I'm glad you came by ;-)

      Delete
  7. We haven't seen much fall color here in upstate NY. The fall has been unusually warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That means you'll have a submission for the anthology? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex!

      Yes, Sir! Pen willing and the creek don't rise ;-)

      Delete
  9. We've got lizards in our back yard, but the scene doesn't seem as idyllic as you described. Maybe I should look more intensely.

    We've got some hot days coming up from the weather forecast. I'm not happy about that.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!