One book leads to another...

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Sometimes, They Come Back



As summer paints the western sky in burnished shades of yearning; to save the carefree summertime and autumn leaves from turning, my heart urges time to a standstill. Though the past has come; a midnight moon while stars were deep in slumber, a spirit rode on wings of loon and tore the dates asunder. Reluctant is the tiny bird that knows it must take wing, though winter songs are not yet heard as garden birds still sing.  The time is now as winter nears; the anxious hummer knows, and late one balmy August night, he’ll spread his wings for home. 

Whoever said, “Parting is such sweet sorrow” had it right, don’t you think? As you know, at many of the places I visit folks simply never leave. And they can get a bit testy when someone new moves in and wants to make a few changes; as we saw in my Cottonwood post, where at one home the ghostly resident repeatedly ripped up newly laid tile and dragged construction materials out on the lawn during renovations. 

As one might think, refurbishing a home or building that isn’t still “occupied” is a relief in itself. But can you imagine what could happen if sometimes, they come back?

When purchased by the former Sonora State Senator Carlos Velasco, back in 1878, it was no more than a three room adobe hut. By the time of his death in 1914, Velasco and his wife had lovingly transformed it into one of the finest manors in El Presidio; boasting 15 ft. ceilings with many fine Spanish and Old Mexico gildings that enhance the elegance of the enduring abode that spans nearly five acres in the middle of downtown Tucson, Arizona.

It wasn’t until renovations began in the late nineties on this 150+-year-old home that reports began circulating of a certain distinguished looking gentleman with a mustache, appearing out of nowhere with a keen interest in the on-going project at the old Velasco Pueblo.

Workers reported being watched at all times, only to turn and find not their supervisor, but the floating upper torso of a man with a direct, discerning gaze that seemed to express approval before the apparition vanished. He watched with particular interest as walls were refurbished in the burned-out room that had served as his office when he created and printed Tucson’s first Hispanic newspaper, and as the project neared completion, Velasco’s presence was further revealed in rearranged furniture, reset clocks (a particular fascination for Velasco in life), and pictures being moved from wall to wall. 

Throughout renovations and for years to follow, Velasco’s appearances continued; ever imparting a sense of contentment at his return home. There have been no reports of anyone minding his presence, and the privately-owned home is now listed on the National Register of Historic places.


Are you ready for summer’s end? Could you live with the ghost of Carlos Velasco? Might you be hanging around at your house to see how newcomers treat it?

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Diedre!

    I see your post and I will be back to comment a.s.a.p. I am on the road and tied up with family this week. I'll return later today or at the latest, on Saturday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Be safe out there, and Happy Trails :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi again, dear friend!

      Thank you for your patience. Conditions are not ideal because I am surrounded by numerous family members including a one year old child and the din makes it hard to concentrate, but I didn't want to keep you waiting any longer.

      Your first paragraph was one of your finest, a most enjoyable preamble to another delightful ghost story. A specter in the form of a floating upper torso would surely be disconcerting, but I have always yearned to see a ghost and I would relish a close encounter with the returning Carlos Velasco. It makes sense that a person like Velasco who worked hard to transform his humble abode into a large estate would return to supervise modern renovations. Fortunately for Velasco and for we the living, he seems pleased with the refurbishing.

      Thank you for another fascinating tale, dear friend Diedre, and have a safe and happy weekend!

      Delete
    3. Hi Shady!
      You're such a dear for taking time from family to pop in here.
      Glad you enjoyed the story. It's rare I run across a ghost who isn't up to something nefarious ;-) Velasco is one I wouldn't mind having around because I empathize with his apparent desire to cherish fond memories. On the other hand, the story does leave open the case for wondering "What if?"
      Thanks so much for your kindness, dear Shady. Do enjoy the nearly-toddling treasure and all the fun of family!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous poem, Diedre. Your talent knows no bounds! As for me, I'm never ready for the end of summer, as I don't like cold weather at all. Autumn is gorgeous around here, but what comes after - Yuck!

    Great story about the apparition approving the renovations. I can see why nobody is upset by that haunting. This reminds me of the movie "Beetlejuice". ☺ Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin also hung around their home after death and eventually made peace with the new owners. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for the compliment, Debbie. I agree about cold weather. It just doesn't suit my desert-dwelling soul. I do so envy your seasonal changes, though.
      The story reminded me of Beetlejuice too! I forgot how much I enjoyed that movie :-)
      Thanks so much for coming by, Debbie ;-) I'm going over to check out your Flashback, next!

      Delete
  3. He was just trying to help them decorate. Maybe he's into feng shui?:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're onto something, lady Chrys! I found his fascination with clocks most interesting and wondered whether they needed winding or if he was just having fun. I would like to have kept my great g-ma's crazy Cuckoo clock, but that little bird just never stopped chirping ;-)

      Delete
  4. It's interesting you ask if I'm ready to summer to end--fall is my favorite season because I LOVE ghost stories like this one! You knew that, though! This reminded me a little of the Winchester Rifle House, where she kept doing renovations to keep the spirits away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie!
      Yes, we do share a love for the otherworldly, don't we?
      I checked out the Winchester House (thanks for the tip!) and was fascinated! It is definitely now on my list of destinations.
      Thanks for popping in while you're so extremely busy with your book tour :-)

      Delete
  5. If you're going to have a ghost, a friendly one is the best type to have! BTW, I loved the beautiful poem at the start of this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Nick! I agree, Carlos Velasco wouldn't be the scariest ghost there ever was ;-)

      Delete
  6. I am sooo ready for fall! Something about fall that gets me back into work mode. The weather's not too hot (your makeup doesn't just slide off your face!) so I love that. And although Carlos doesn't sound too bad as ghosts go, I probably wouldn't answer his roommate ad on Craigslist! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Quanie!
      Oh yes, there is something about this time of year that makes me more reflective, more ready to settle down and be creative too. Cheers to us both!
      I love the sliding makeup analogy;-) It is pretty bad when I wait for nightfall to check the mail because the box gets too hot to touch. I wonder if mail-carriers have insurance for burnt fingers?
      Dying to see your new book release, my friend :-)

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!