One book leads to another...

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

A Highly Spirited Heartland



As a misty orange daybreak gives way to stunning blue; haphazardly sprinkled tufts of white linen float lazily above the Verde Canyon Railroad, where the hauntingly winsome whistle bewails the waning darkness, when spirited entities engage in cosmic pillow fights above the valley plains.

Arizona’s heartland lies above the arid desert and below the high ponderosa country where a vast array of discoveries awaits the adventurous in too many forms to mention in one blog—or see in a single day, so we’ll just meander as if on a long weekend drive from Jerome.


In Clarkdale, it is believed the spirit of Sheriff Jim Roberts continues foot- patrol on the now mostly deserted Main Street; where in the summer of 1928, he foiled the greatest bank robbery attempt in Arizona history.  The ClarkdaleHistorical Museum offers as much education as it does experience, with frequent reports of hijinks and apparitions in the building which was once a clinic for ailing smelter workers before it was a police station with a jail cell, built in the basement; where many shadowy figures are seen.

A short walk down the quiet street takes you past a small park; where a lone gazebo emits enough energy to suggest it being perhaps a portal, and to the Pool Hall where balls are reported to knock around by themselves at night.

Is it ever too late in the day for fresh baked goods? The Orion Bread Company, down the road in Cottonwood,  is highly acclaimed and doesn’t seem quite old enough to already have its own ghost in the form a young child who reportedly wanders the store; gazing longingly at all the fresh goods.

The Cottonwood Jail was temporary home to several high-profile (for the era) individuals; including an influential bootlegger named Joe Hall, who was visited by the infamous Al Capone (who carved his name above the cell door during the lengthy visit), in an effort to recruit ‘runners’ between the US and Mexico. Another notorious criminal was found detained in the Jail, thanks to Sheriff Buck Snoody (America’s Most Wanted), was extradited from the Cottonwood Jail and led unhappily back to L.A. where he was sentenced to Death (As depicted in the 1967 Dragnet series ‘The Hammer’). And even celebrities such as Burt Lancaster spent a little time there; though he was filming the 1946 movie ‘Desert Fury’, as did Elvis Presley; during the filming of ‘Stay Away Joe’. 

While the mountains are but glowing embers of the swiftly passing day, I’m struck by how very much I value the simplest freedoms; to explore and learn, to have and share, and to celebrate with friends and family, any holiday I please!  Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone! 

Would you enjoy Arizona’s heartland?  For many years, we always listened to “Alice’s Restaurant” on Thanksgiving day, do you have any special traditions regarding the holiday?

12 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Diedre!

    If there was such a thing as a "Best First Sentence" contest (perhaps there is) then surely you would win. Your writing puts me in a trance.

    To answer your question, based on your tales, I would most certainly enjoy visiting Arizona's heartland, midway between desert and mountain highlands. I would love to visit those historic sites and search for evidence of ghostly inhabitants. I am the type of person who would welcome contact with spirits. It would be an honor and a privilege to see or detect them and have the opportunity to communicate and learn from them. I'm like the scientist in the Howard Hawks' movie The Thing From Another World. The military men, with their "kill anything that moves if it is different from us" mentality, plot ways to destroy the carrot man (Gunsmoke's James Arness). Meanwhile, the little scientist races to the alien's side and attempts to communicate with him and learn from him. That's the attitude I think I would bring to an encounter with a ghost.

    Mrs. Shady and I are spending Thanksgiving with her daughter and family including our six month old grandson. I wish you and yours a safe and happy Thanksgiving, dear friend Diedre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for the kind words, Shady :-) But the eloquence with which you share your worldliness far outshines anything I could produce.
      It's easy to appreciate your attitude towards ghosts and such as I feel the same :-) Poor James Arness was so embarrassed by the character he played, he didn't go to the premier of the movie, but he sure won my heart as Matt Dillon;-)
      I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful, dear friend!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like there's a lot of history in that little town of Clarksdale. I always enjoy these atmospheric posts. Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick! Comments like yours make it all the more fun to share :-)

      Delete
  3. I imagine a lot of towns like that have sheriff from that era still patrolling and making sure there is no trouble.

    I would love to visit the Orion Bread Company. Yum. Fresh bread. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine a lot of towns like that have sheriff from that era still patrolling and making sure there is no trouble.

    I would love to visit the Orion Bread Company. Yum. Fresh bread. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd imagine right, Chrys! Part of the enchantment, I guess ;-)
      Oh, me too! I love fresh bread. I'd probably try to feed the little ghost boy;-)

      Delete
  5. I've been in that area--Jerome, Cottonwood--but I don't recall Clarkdale. This is some beautiful country that I've always enjoyed.

    Alice's Restaurant was a fun piece that I haven't heard in years. It was never a Thanksgiving tradition, but it entertained my friends and I when it came out and I recall going to see the movie at the drive-in theater.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed some gorgeous country, in addition to some of the rarest birds around. Clarkdale is a little up the way from Cottonwood - if you sneeze you'll miss the turn-off;-)
      Since we weren't even registered voters yet, Alice's Restaurant was all about the hilarious story and the way he tells it - there's a local radio classic rock station here that plays it at the top of every hour on Thanksgiving :-) Never did see the movie, was it good?

      Delete
    2. Couldn't tell you if the movie was good or not because I don't remember and I don't think I've seen it since. I believe it was on TCM some time ago but I didn't watch it.

      Arlee Bird
      Tossing It Out

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to visit Arizona and now I have a reason to. Sounds like an educational vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I'm biased (ahem), but I think you'd love it! :-) The entire state is rich in history and the cultural diversities are as varied as the landscapes; where you'll find a ghost under just about every stone!

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!