One book leads to another...

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Santa, is it true?






It’s been a number of years since I last wrote to Santa.  A lot of changes have taken place (for the good, I should should add) since my ninth Christmas when I desperately needed to feel the hope and maybe a little of that jolly old joy included with every one of his visits.


It didn’t happen on Christmas but very soon after, he sent a Christmas Angel in the form of my grandma; a miniature desert twister, who whisked us away to a world of bright promise and unending hope. To this very day I believe Santa was behind it.  

Perhaps it explains the consternation I felt looking into the tormented, tear-stained face of a seven year old who says no one at school believes in Santa anymore.  Why in heck not? I’ve a mind to write to Santa again and ask him how it could be that the joy of giving, the unequivocal peace in loving one another and sharing of good cheer could ever be disavowed.

Sure, the very notion of Santa and all the season stands for begins as only a belief in your heart, but it blossoms to so much more; enough to last a lifetime, if allowed.

Well, this family is celebrating right down to the traditional Christmas Tamales and we’re not ashamed – or afraid to say so! This year my daughter initiated a new tradition: One new (or classic) Christmas themed book to be unwrapped each day until Christmas, for her young son. The first one he opened (yes, we support our local authors, too) was “Santa is coming to Tucson” by Steve Smallman, Robert Dunn (Illustrator), he loved it!  Are there special traditions in your family?

Once the spirit of Santa and Christmas in general is in your heart, does anyone really ever forget? Could it be that the spirit is no longer important? How are you celebrating this year?
I would love to hear your thoughts!


Merry Christmas!



6 comments:

  1. My daughter is seven and knows not everyone believes in Santa. She does though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so good to hear, Kelly! I know the notion of Santa can't last forever, but I think every little person should know the joy for a at least as long as it takes to perpetuate the spirit. Merry, Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a tradition in our family of opening presents at midnight. And you know what? I never really believed in Santa but thought it was fun to pretend, lol. I am definitely going to do the whole let's make Santa milk and cookies thing with my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful, Quanie! We tried leaving milk and cookies once...our cats loved it! Bows and popcorn strings weren't safe either, sigh. We always left the Christmas tree lights on for Santa. Merry Christmas to you and your family, Quanie!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post, Diedre. And I admire you and your family starting a new tradition in order to keep the spirit of Christmas alive.
    We listen to music and watch Christmas movies while decorating our tree and wrapping. We also cook the seven fishes on Christmas Eve which was a tradition started by our great grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina! I'm with you on movies and music :-) I'm intrigued by the 'seven fishes' as I've not heard of it, but it sure sounds like a terrific tradition. Especially, coming from your great grandparents!

      Delete

Any thoughts? Join the conversation, comments welcome here!